Talk

Advanced search

Any top tips for picking your builder?

(14 Posts)
GreenSpaghetti Tue 09-Dec-14 13:40:39

We have had a number of quotes from builders and have 2 or 3 that we like so next steps are ask about things like insurance, payment, references. But is anything we should consider at this stage? What are your top tips when picking a builder? Thanks.

HollyBdenum Tue 09-Dec-14 13:44:15

What sort of work are you having done? I am a SAHM and went for someone who l was prepared to spend 8 hours a day with for 5 months.

GreenSpaghetti Tue 09-Dec-14 13:47:31

Double story extension. Yep, I'm a SAHM too, goof point. My husband is going PM the job so we've been thinking more about his ability to work with them so far.

GreenSpaghetti Tue 09-Dec-14 13:49:26

Sorry, good point!

newstart15 Tue 09-Dec-14 13:57:05

Completely agree with Holly, you do need to get on with the builder if they are in your house for a long time but also when you need to discuss changes/issues.I think you can learn a lot from how they engage in the bidding stages, they need to be respectful of your house and you.

Do they use a regular team or subcontractors for the trades? Most builders will have a core skill, plumbing, carpentry etc..handy to know this and good to get someone where your job matches.How many builds will they do this year? More is not often better as they can be keen to do 80% of your job and move on to next project.

Listen well to the references, if someone asked about my last builder I would generally be positive and mention the extended time frames..if asked more questions I could give more background as he was a nightmare with scheduling but maybe I wouldnt volunteer upfront as I would want to be positive.

AnnOnymity Tue 09-Dec-14 14:58:15

Ask them if they will be doing other jobs at the same time as yours (and so going AWOL and taking longer than you would expect to complete it).

<looks at huge hole in the wall and the lack of builders fixing it>

TheWindowDonkey Tue 09-Dec-14 15:00:30

Sorry, nothing helpful to add, but read the topic line as 'picking UP your builder' and thought you were on the pull! smile you made my afternoon brighter anyway. smile

SASASI Tue 09-Dec-14 15:29:07

Good thread....im checking in for tips! We won't be living in the house when works are happening but I live round the corner so I will be keeping a Close eye on them.

newgirl Tue 09-Dec-14 15:33:59

I was going to recommend my builder website as it's a chance to find and give feedback - everyone we've found on there has been great

GreenSpaghetti Tue 09-Dec-14 16:52:12

window perhaps if I really like the builder we go with I'll be back on here asking that next year whilst my husband weeps in the corner!

TheWindowDonkey Tue 09-Dec-14 20:28:11

smile

ChishandFips33 Tue 09-Dec-14 21:25:23

After the important stuff such as references, (recommendations rather than picking one out of the phone book) insurance has been decided;
Find out if they have OCD! Although it may slow the job down (get a job price rather than day rates!) it means everything is done just right!

Chat to them as they get back in their van (and peer inside) it may give you an insight in to how tidy/respectful they are

Be strategic and leave something with them to look in to - if they get back to
you promptly and efficiently then it's a good sign

Get them talking about them - we found our builder has the same family/work values and he 'got us' - all superficial stuff but has made for a very pleasant experience

InsertUsernameHere Tue 09-Dec-14 22:15:00

The most important thing is the information you clean from other people who have employed them. Specifically, what were they like to have round, how did the deal with the unexpected, did they keep to time, did the price they paid bare any resemblance to the price quoted, would they use them again? (Do they miss them)

InsertUsernameHere Tue 09-Dec-14 22:15:37

glean not clean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now