Talk

Advanced search

What's cheaper, for a shelf, tempered glass or thick enough clear perspex/plastic?

(3 Posts)
Erebus Tue 09-Dec-14 11:26:15

We are going to add a shelf under a coffee table that must be able to hold the weight of 2 x Skyboxes. Not sure how thick the glass or perspex would need to be, but which would cost less do you think, ready cut?

TIA

PigletJohn Tue 09-Dec-14 11:53:25

glass would be preferable, but you would need to find the size you need. Perspex will scratch easily, and quickly goes dull even if rubbed with a dry duster or a damp sponge.

You can't cut ordinary safety glass, it has to be made and treated in the factory. However you can cut laminated glass. You will need to find a local merchant to do it, and specify that the edges must be polished (otherwise they will cut you) unless you are going to put it in a frame where all edges will be enclosed. Not all glass merchants offer that. I don't know what it would cost. You could also enquire about having tempered glass made in your size.

Erebus Tue 09-Dec-14 12:05:25

Ah, okay, so it's tempered or laminated glass that I need? I was beginning to think I should use glass not perspex, particularly as all glass shelves on say TV stands tend to be glass.

Thanks for your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now