Talk

Advanced search

i think i want a brass tap, so barss handles for the cabinets....but what about the electrical sockets?

(16 Posts)
PinkOboe Mon 08-Dec-14 12:10:39

me again, with my thousandth question

i really like the idea of a brass tap

which is fine, i can do brass handles on the units.

but then what to do about the sockets? screwfix do brass ones but they're out of stock. i can see them on a few other sites, they're a bit more exoensive, but i donlt need many

is this a bad idea? will they look afwully dated in a few years?

i remember having these gopping ones in an old house

PinkOboe Mon 08-Dec-14 12:11:26

and really don't want to be hating them in a few years

PinkOboe Mon 08-Dec-14 12:12:40

are these horrid?

Beemer30 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:52:47

I don't know what sort of house you live in but I think brass looks really dated.

I live in a modern house and have gone for brushed steel light switches. The taps in my bathroom are chrome.

december12 Mon 08-Dec-14 14:00:10

Hmm, the tap's OK, but I'd have contrasting handles and nothing but white plastic sockets. Really in what world does a socket need to be a decorative feature? You need to be able to pretend they're not there.

All brass will really date.

PinkOboe Mon 08-Dec-14 14:06:14

See I'm a bit bored if all the chrome and brushed steel. The kitchen is ummm eclectic? Moroccan tiles. Slate worktop

I hear what you're saying about white plastic but in a room that's predominantly natural materials, a bit rough around the edges, white plastic stands out like a sore thumb.

Id like nice brass ones. And I've found some! But they're £70 each sad

squatcher Mon 08-Dec-14 14:10:19

Please post links to any nice sockets. I hate white plastic too. But the house we've moved into has lots of odd-looking wooden ones (and light switches) - really don't know what to do about them.

strongandlong Mon 08-Dec-14 14:43:28

Is there any way you could conceal them under the upper cabinets (if you're having any?)? Like this: www.remodelista.com/posts/hardware-concealed-under-cabinet-kitchen-outlets

strongandlong Mon 08-Dec-14 15:40:32

I like the 2nd picture, btw - that looks good.

I think brushed steel or nickel can look good with brass too - no need to be matchy-matchy wink

PinkOboe Mon 08-Dec-14 16:57:01

After spending 9 hours looking at sockets I've decided to go with these. They're less yellowy in real life and look nice. They don't really fit with the fairly industrial look I thought I was going for but they're the best of a bad lot grin

There's definitely an opening in the market for nice sockets

Under cabinet ones would be good but we've only got base units

Eastwickwitch Tue 09-Dec-14 07:03:41

I've just been down the new sockets route, for a kitchen. I absolutely had to have white metal screwless and spent hours talking to suppliers & ££ ordering them. Our electrician was a bit confused and TBH I hardly notice them now.

I'd suggest you just have your fancy ones where you can really see them and have bog standard where you can't.

Chumhum Tue 09-Dec-14 07:09:06

I think you've chosen the right ones, chrome is an absolute no no and I think brushed ss is on its way out (although I'm putting some in right now ). I love the brass tap, your kitchen sounds fab.

atticusclaw Tue 09-Dec-14 07:15:10

Actually, if you trawl the interior design sites, brushed brass and copper are in and the cool metals are out. Chrome went out LONG ago.

I'd go with flat plate brass or if you have wallpaper behind them, the completely transparent ones (plastic but look like glass)

The look is to avoid sockets as much as possible but putting them under wall cabinets and in base unit drawers (although we have both and you definitely need at least one in the wall otherwise hoovering can be difficult).

minipie Tue 09-Dec-14 10:10:56

I know you've chosen but just to throw in another idea - these sockets are totally flat and can be painted to match your walls, so they blend in.

Lots of perfectly nice brass ones on that website too.

squatcher Tue 09-Dec-14 12:53:01

Ooh like primed plates idea. And the transparent ones.

PinkOboe Tue 09-Dec-14 13:01:15

the primed paintable ones are great. what a good idea. i was thining - why can't you just have the holes and the switch without all the surrounding crap, i mean clearly you can't for obvious reasons, but those would be very close. i'm going to have them when i do the sitting room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now