Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you had greyish green tiles and a white bath/loo/basin, what colour would you paint the walls? I hate bright white!!!

(25 Posts)
Emeraldgirl2 Sun 07-Dec-14 20:41:12

We have had to start redecorating our bathroom after a huge leak. We can't afford to put in new tiles but are re painting walls and ceiling.

I absolutely loathe bright white (which the previous owners had on walls) but I want to keep a sense of airiness as it is on the small side. The tiles aren't too bad, I'd have chosen grey tiles myself as I am a bit obsessed with grey but they are an ok shade of sort of grey green, definitely green rather than grey but a very muted shade.

I am wondering about one of the off whites I was testing manically in my hallway a few months ago (I wanted a creamy glow for the hall and ended up with dulux orchid white but I did look at much whiter shades of white eg apple white etc...)

Any ideas for a nice mellow white (but definitely white not cream as it has to work with the white fixtures) that will go with green tiles and ISN'T plain white?

Emeraldgirl2 Sun 07-Dec-14 21:02:36

Hmmm feeling bold now... Should I go for v v pale green walls instead...? Something eau de nil like?

Eastwickwitch Sun 07-Dec-14 21:20:00

F&B James White?
It's an off white with a green tinge.

Emeraldgirl2 Sun 07-Dec-14 21:30:47

Ooh thank you I will check that out now

thingamajig Sun 07-Dec-14 21:33:17

Have you thought about yellow?

Emeraldgirl2 Sun 07-Dec-14 21:36:31

Thingamajig, what sort of yellow are you thinking...?

justaweeone Sun 07-Dec-14 21:45:04

Crown stone white will look fab

fuckwitteryhasform Sun 07-Dec-14 21:47:50

Pale grey? I love grey too

cece Sun 07-Dec-14 21:49:13

pink

Knittingbat Sun 07-Dec-14 23:16:10

Really like Dulux Timeless for not too 'white' but clean and airy.

Emeraldgirl2 Mon 08-Dec-14 11:46:25

knittingbat thank you! Weirdly enough, Timeless doesnt seem to work well in our house, it ends up very very yellow and almost grubby looking, i tried it in the hall and living room but neither worked!! A shame as I LOVE it at a friend's house, hers is a modern house and our is old and I dont know if that's the difference or if its just the light...

AnnOnymity Mon 08-Dec-14 12:24:55

I'd stick with brilliant white .

Timeless looks awful in our house too. Something to do with the light.

Eastwickwitch Mon 08-Dec-14 12:29:43

I've got Strong White in my bathroom. It's a very pale grey, very subtle.

Emeraldgirl2 Mon 08-Dec-14 12:40:12

Eastwick, is Strong White a Dulux one?
I keep hearing good things about F&B Cornforth White (?) but our budget won't stretch to it and tbh we didn't love the quality when we used it on our front door (all we could afford!!!)

Thanks Ann, Shame Timeless can look so awful when I know it can look so good and it has many fans. I think it's the light, mind you it didn't work in ANY room for us or with any direction (eg North, south...) Just looked grubby. Strange!!

The bathroom is north facing so I guess I want something relatively warm toned, I'm relaly leaning towards the palest grey I can find now - tester post here I come!!

Emeraldgirl2 Mon 08-Dec-14 12:44:22

that should have said tester POTS...
Oh and Eastwick, thank you - just looked up strong white and it looks as if it's F&B...? Anyone know a similar dulux shade....?

Eastwickwitch Mon 08-Dec-14 14:10:35

Just go to your nearest paint stockists & they'll copy the colour in a regular paint wink

ChablisChic Mon 08-Dec-14 14:50:28

We're just about to paint our bathroom and we too have greyish green tiles. I'm doing ours a pale lemon yellow (if I can find one, I want something quite citrussy), and accessorising with yellow towels. It faces east so is sunny first thing, but quite dark for the rest of the day, so I wanted to brighten it up.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 08-Dec-14 15:49:14

Brilliant white here - anything else will make you look ill imo in a north facing room unless you've got some amazing lighting.
MIL did grey walls in a bathroom - makes me look like I've been scraped off the ocean floor. You could do a darker green to contrast which might look amazing but I've been there and again, you definitely need to put your makeup on elsewhere. grin

In my head your bathroom looks like Pic 6?
www.homedit.com/how-to-use-green-in-bathroom-designs/

Emeraldgirl2 Mon 08-Dec-14 17:56:13

Oh, Tread Softly, if ONLY my bathroom looked anything like Pic 6 smile

In practice there are DD's bath toys everywhere, the bath suite itself is a bit blah, the floor tiles (white) are boring but again, we can't afford to replace... it has a lovely big window which helps, and it's not the smallest bathroom I"ve ever lived with but if only it was as stylish and gorgeous as some of those pictured!!

Chablis, your new bathroom idea sound FAB, I only wish I was as bold and confident as you... this house is the first I"ve ever done up at all (rented before and last home, a tiny flat, had already been immaculately done up by prev owner) so I'm just feeling my way very gently and scared of making big mistakes!

I don't dispute that grey walls could make me look ill and knackered (not something I yearn for when I'm sleep deprived with a toddler anyway!) but I confess I hadn't even thought of that - I just love grey so much, it makes me actually feel happy, bizarrely, that I've now got it into my head that I NEED a grey-walled bathroom...

I have a few tester pots now, ranging from grey-whites to grey-greens and pretty much everything in between, so i will play around tonight!

Thanks all smile

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 08-Dec-14 18:03:11

Putty or String?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 08-Dec-14 23:54:54

Grey with a touch of sparkle?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 08-Dec-14 23:55:36

I hear you on the bath toys. They can't start showering soon enough !

MillyMollyMama Tue 09-Dec-14 00:39:37

Mizzle by F and B. It is only a bathroom so you can't need that much paint. This is a misty, grey green. So perfect !

ChablisChic Tue 09-Dec-14 08:56:28

emerald the thing about paint is, if you don't like it, it's not too much bother to change it. We always try several tester pots first though - and try them out in different bits of the room, ie next to the window, then in a darker corner - and paint quite a big patch so you really get the idea.

If you don't want lots of different patches on the wall, paint an A4 piece of card and bluetack it up instead.

Emeraldgirl2 Tue 09-Dec-14 12:16:03

thanks Chablis and thanks MillyMolly smile
After many, many tester pots I have plumped for (drumroll) Dulux Just Walnut, it's a less grey grey and certainly not remotely green-grey as I originally thought but the patches I've tested of it look fab and just right with the tiles...

Now we have also decided to paint the upstairs shower room too which has much less tricky plain grey tiles so we have a bit more freedom up there, am thinking something quite greenish but will get the tester pots out again and have a play... getting a bit addicted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now