Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wooden floors being sanded, what's it like?

(14 Posts)
lavenderhoney Sun 07-Dec-14 07:57:56

My floors are being sanded soon, downstairs, and some up, then they come back after NY and finish. they will be here all week and we won't be here during the day. They have machines to reduce dust but I'm still worried about the dust. Should I be thinking about staying elsewhere for the few days?

OneStepCloser Sun 07-Dec-14 08:14:20

We`ve just had our stairs and landing sanded, tbh the dust was nothing compared to plastering dust in the kitchen which we have had done in the last few days, yes there is dust but if your not there whilst its being done it should be ok, lots of wet dusting for a few days but has been worth it.

Good luck smile

FantasticMrsFoxx Sun 07-Dec-14 09:25:16

We had our hall done when we first moved in. We left him the spare key and came back to a beautiful floor and NO dust - just a smell of varnish.
He's coming back on Tuesday to do our bedroom floor so I can update on the dust situation again as we have window sills as well as other nooks and crannies in there that we don't have in the hall.

berceuse Sun 07-Dec-14 09:31:23

We sanded two rooms last week. Not much dust at all really, especially compared to building work! The machines have a paper dust bag like a hoover. Ask them to close the door or the room/s they are working in.

Are they putting something on the floors that have been sanded before they come back in NY - stain, osmo, or whatever. They will get 'dirty' if you don't protect them in my experience.

Blackeyez09 Sun 07-Dec-14 11:24:57

Sanded two rooms last weekend because of hss offer... Was great and have to finish them now... Still a little dusty but as long as room is sealed can be relatively contained... Is certainly worth the dust just have a good Hoover I'm going to get a Henry grin

DontEvenPoint Sun 07-Dec-14 11:41:18

No experience of sanding to share, but we will be sanding floors of new house in January so if any of you are in Surrey/london and have recommendations I would be very grateful!

lavenderhoney Sun 07-Dec-14 17:57:51

Thanks- he will be filling and oiling as well. They'll be finished by the end of the week he is here. He will be doing the last two bedrooms in jan, depending on the state of the boards. He says he might get my bedroom done, but can't promise anything.

I'm not in Surrey/ London unfortunately...

imme Sun 07-Dec-14 21:06:24

Peter from www.sandedfloors.co.uk did an amazing job with our floors. They are beautiful! Peter is based in Crystal Palace, not sure if he would travel as far as Surrey but worth checking.
Oh and he always kept the doors of the rooms closed and the windows open so the dust really wasn't an issue.

okeydonkey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:34:23

Should be dust free if they have gd equipment and you needn't move out

plantsitter Sun 07-Dec-14 22:38:55

We had ours done a couple of years ago. Not too bad and we didn't have to move out (slightly inconvenient for me as I'm a SAHM and we had to stay out til after tea every day). We covered our fitted bookshelves with those rubbish plastic dust sheets and left the books there and even that was fine. If you're out all day it'll be only a minor inconvenience I expect.

unclerory Sun 07-Dec-14 22:40:32

We've had several floors sanded by different companies. It's not very nice in the house while they are doing it, bloody noisy, but nodust at the end of the process.

apotatoprintinapeartree Sun 07-Dec-14 22:43:42

Ditto to the above, make sure you seal the room off as much as you can and get Henry on it.
We have done loads of them in the past, so worth the effort, and they look lovely.

cookiefiend Sun 07-Dec-14 23:37:19

Not to bad at the time, but wait a few weeks before putting any Nick naks back in the room as we found dust continued to settle for a couple of weeks and so we had to wipe down surfaces a few times.

cluttercluttereverywhere Sun 07-Dec-14 23:53:29

Had our very long hall and living rooms done a few years ago, it took 5 days and I wish we'd moved out. It took probably about a year to get rid of the settling dust as well (rather large hall, it went everywhere into a 4 bed flat).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now