Talk

Advanced search

Primer for painting fresh plaster?

(18 Posts)
hanflan Sat 06-Dec-14 16:57:14

Hi all. We need to do a mist coat on our new plaster and went to buy some trade matt emulsion to water down as I have read on many threads here. Guy in store persuaded us to get a tin of multi surface primer instead ( says on the tin it can be used on plaster) but now I'm home I am having doubts! Is there anyone who has used this as a mist coat? Will it work as well?

AnnOnymity Sat 06-Dec-14 17:07:05

I thought it was frowned upon now.

Mist coats of Dulux Trade Supermatt all the way here (diluted with water water for the first couple of coats) a la Piglet John.

hanflan Sat 06-Dec-14 17:10:31

Thanks for reply. Is there a reason that it's frowned upon? Does it not soak into the plaster as well, even if we watered it down?

AnnOnymity Sat 06-Dec-14 17:16:17

Stops the wall breathing iirc?

ilovepowerhoop Sat 06-Dec-14 17:17:17

I used slightly watered down cheap emulsion I had in the house. (it even said on the tin that you could do that for sealing plaster)

RandomMess Sat 06-Dec-14 17:18:38

I've bought value emulsion to water down here!!!!

Greencheese Sat 06-Dec-14 20:32:06

I bought dulux trade supermatt today as that's what piglet john recommends.

hanflan Sun 07-Dec-14 17:19:55

Is this the stuff?

Marmitelover55 Sun 07-Dec-14 17:57:02

No sure about the vinyl bit? Might stop walls breathing... We used dulux trade supermatt

hanflan Sun 07-Dec-14 18:37:47

ARGHHH this is the only thing we could find that had trade Matt emulsion on it! Can't face a third trip to homebase sad pigletjohn where are you?! Haha

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Dec-14 18:44:36

does it say anything on it about watering down for painting over plaster? I didnt use trade stuff, just the value stuff we had hanging about in the house.

hanflan Sun 07-Dec-14 18:51:56

No , it just says suitable for painting most walls... No mention of watering down or plaster. This is exactly why I need to stay away from doing DIY haha!

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Dec-14 18:58:07

my cheapy stuff says on the tub that it can be watered down for using on plaster so if you do go back to homebase check the tin first before buying

hanflan Sun 07-Dec-14 19:21:12

I will! I will not leave without Dulux Trade Supermatt. Nothing else, nothing that sounds similar, nothing with fecking VINYL in the name! grin

Greencheese Sun 07-Dec-14 20:11:29

This is the one I got

www.diy.com/rooms/dulux-trade-white-matt-emulsion-paint-10l/35965_BQ.prd. Here

hanflan Sun 07-Dec-14 22:26:19

Thank you! At least I know what the tub looks like now so I can keep an eye out.

PigletJohn Mon 08-Dec-14 00:43:55

For new plaster, Dulux Trade Supermatt is slightly porous so the plaster can dry out. It is non-vinyl, so not very durable. It is one of the most widely-sold paints in the country.

On old, dry plaster, you can use anything, but preferably matt, and white is cheaper than colours.

hanflan Mon 08-Dec-14 13:16:49

Thanks pigletjohn! It's a skim coat that was done about three weeks ago, and although it seems dry, I don't want to take any chances (especially with the damp weather we have been having!) so I think I will making making a dreaded third trip back to get the supermatt haha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now