Talk

Advanced search

Local searches - radon gas area - a worry?

(5 Posts)
noarguments Sat 06-Dec-14 15:36:13

Our searches have come back saying the property we're buying is in a radon gas area. No indication of how significant the problem is. A proper test is done over 3 months, apparently, so no time for that, although we can potentially ask for a some cash to be held back from the vendor towards any remedial costs if a problem is found.
Does anyone have any experience?
Thanks.

specialsubject Sat 06-Dec-14 15:41:15

Discovered this when buying in the nearby town. The whole place is in a radon gas area. My husband was brought up there, as was his family and everyone he knows, and number of heads = number of bodies. On a more serious note, cancer incidence in the area is no higher than normal.

there are some areas where it is an issue, and if you digging into basement there are things you may need to do,but a large proportion of the UK is affected. Trouble is you can only find out if a property has a real problem by that test - there is no other way of knowing.

probably absolutely nothing to worry about, but do some research. Has the seller done any testing?

noarguments Sat 06-Dec-14 15:51:47

Thanks Special. No, he's not done any testing - it was a 1970s bungalow that he has extended upwards and outwards, but no testing done as part of that. Maybe the council can advise. Thanks.

dayshiftdoris Sat 06-Dec-14 16:15:41

I live in a radon gas area and had this come up on two searches.

It's not really seen as a big issue to be honest - in a house, where you ventilate regularly it's thought that levels are unlikely to be high though you can have fans fitted. I would have thought that an older house with all the draughts you get would be better.

Personally I have never had fans fitted or monitoring and I don't know anyone who has. I know of companies that will gladly charge you hundreds of pounds to fit fans / vents / monitors though....

Cancer rates aren't significantly different here either - my passion is epidemiology (patterns of health & disease in populations) so I had great fun checking.

noarguments Sat 06-Dec-14 16:22:13

That's a bit of reassurance, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now