Talk

Advanced search

is my buyer being a bit cheeky?

(14 Posts)
Azquilith Sat 06-Dec-14 14:19:02

Accepted an offer on my flat mid October. Contracts currently with the buyer's solicitors and we're awaiting their enquiries.
My post this morning contained at least 6 letters on a mail redirect to someone I didn't know, however one appeared to be from the country I know my buyer originates from. I phone the estate agent who apologised for not having told me, but apparently the buyer has gone home for Christmas, will be back 1st or 2nd week of Jan, has given up his current flat and has forwarded all his mail.
Surely a bit cheeky!! We haven't even exchanged yet!! I mean on the one hand I'm reassured that he certainly intends to buy...but it feels a bit odd...

CatsClaus Sat 06-Dec-14 14:23:00

has to be one of the rudest things i have heard!!

And how are things supposed to move along with him out of the countryfor another month??

I'd tippex all the names off his post and write Mr Rudey McRuderson, Rude House, What a Cheek Street, Taking a Libertyville.

AlpacaLypse Sat 06-Dec-14 14:26:42

Would you have said 'yes' if the EA/buyer had called you and asked if you would mind?

As you say, at least it shows that your buyer is definitely serious!

specialsubject Sat 06-Dec-14 15:33:06

it is indeed very odd, but try not to worry. Credit ratings etc go with people, not addresses. Just get a box and chuck it all in.

hopefully your buyer realises that he doesn't move in until completion, which if you don't have exchange is NOT going to be in the first two weeks of January unless everyone really gets a shift on.

peteneras Sat 06-Dec-14 17:35:42

Bloody cheeky indeed! What if the sale falls through? Never ever let your address to be used by anybody except your own immediate family members. Some 10 years ago, yes TEN, a supposed 'good friend' asked me if it's OK for him to use my address for his bank to send statements and other correspondence to as he was temporarily going away for a few months. Like a good friend, I told him it wasn't a problem. Initially, some genuine bank correspondence arrived. On his return to the UK, I forwarded him his mail. Soon, he left the UK for good but his mail kept coming to my address. Before long, there were solicitors' letters, debt collecting agencies' letters, mailing from bailiffs, etc. I had to return all these mails to the senders explaining the addressee did not live in the address. A few months later, the whole thing began again, from new solicitors, bailiffs and others.

A long story short, this state of affairs went on relentlessly for a good part of 10 years until I threatened the senders with the police for harassing me (most of them I had already informed the addressee did not live at the address and/or not known at the address, etc.). After the police threat, thankfully the harassment became fewer and far between.

Moral of the story: Never ever let your address to be used by anybody - not even your best friend!

Azquilith Sun 07-Dec-14 10:33:33

I am wondering where he thinks he's going to live when he comes back to the UK! Given his solicitors haven't even raised enquiries yet and it's 3 weeks before Christmas...

Bizarre.

LIZS Sun 07-Dec-14 10:37:28

I thought you had to provide id that you could use the address for Royal Mail redirection service. Can you/solicitor contact them and ask them to hold it at the sorting office.

specialsubject Sun 07-Dec-14 10:53:29

you don't have to prove the new address, just who you are. By definition you can't prove the new address when you set up a redirection, as you have to do it a few days in advance and you don't live there yet!

but this guy is clearly naive in the extreme. Better check that he knows how the process works and won't be on your doorstop with all his possessions before completion.

WeAreEternal Sun 07-Dec-14 12:04:38

I would be writing 'not at this address' on the envelopes and sticking it back in the post.

BumWad Sun 07-Dec-14 16:44:25

fgrin Cats

Kitsmummy Sun 07-Dec-14 18:24:42

To be honest I wouldn't really care, the relief that he fully intends to purchase your flat would outweigh the slight annoyance factor for me

Azquilith Sun 07-Dec-14 19:45:25

Kits that's kind of where I am.

May ask the question of the EA about where he's planning to live when he comes back though, as we're also away Christmas and this won't be packing ready for a first week of Jan move, even if we exchange in time.

hereandtherex Mon 08-Dec-14 12:08:17

I would be a bit annoyed about the letters but very relived the buyer has committed to the buying the place.

But a big envelope. Shove the post in. Give the envelope as a moving in present.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 08-Dec-14 15:54:42

Forward all his mail to his solicitors - they can charge him for the priviledge of holding his mail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now