Talk

Advanced search

Treating inside of painted kitchen cupboards

(6 Posts)
Nepotism Fri 05-Dec-14 16:36:23

Help....what should I do? The outside is painted but the inside is not treated in any way. I'm less worried about cosmetic appearance than durability. Any suggestions? I've had to make too many decisions recently!

atticusclaw Fri 05-Dec-14 16:37:42

Are they wooden?

Nepotism Fri 05-Dec-14 16:40:39

Sorry, yes, they're pine

HappyAsASandboy Fri 05-Dec-14 16:49:35

I would stain them a dark-ish wood colour (choose a wood colour that will go nicely with your paint colour) and then varnish.

The varnish (sever coats) will be durable. The dark colour will hide scratches to the varnish (from tins etc) better than a lighter colour.

You could paint them, but I don't think the paint will be as durable as varnish, and even darker pain will end up looking scratchy once you've used the cupboards for a bit.

Madcats Sat 06-Dec-14 14:11:45

As well as that it is worth lining the shelves/drawers. I am very happy with my IKEA Rationell Variera plastic liner that you cut to size (which I see also retails on eBay/Amazon). Lakeland etc also sell similar. I'm not sure what my family does to jars and tins etc....our cupboards always seem to be full of crumbs and drips.

Nepotism Sat 06-Dec-14 21:55:27

Thanks both. I've bought some oilcloth from the market to line shelves etc. Went to the paint shop and the man recommended a Zinsser product that can be tinted so saves the two part process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now