Talk

Advanced search

Which Osmo Oil for Walnut Worktop

(14 Posts)
Nepotism Fri 05-Dec-14 16:34:33

Just that, really. The range seems to be huge and I don't know which I should use. I don't want a shiny finish, just something hardwearing.

Tournesol Fri 05-Dec-14 16:45:50

I just did my walnut worktop a year ago. Our walnut came with no treatment so we sanded it and used the wood protector as an undercoat. It is really easy to apply.

Then on top we used the top oil. A word of warning here. You have to rub it in really hard because on the darker tones of walnut it can show up a little white, but as long as we really rubbed it goes in well and looks totally natural.

Have to say I am really pleased with how well it repels water, our worktop still looks pristine. We even had a bad spill from the kettle that went unnoticed,soaked in and warped the wood but once it dried out the warp disappeared and there was not even a tiny water stain!

berceuse Fri 05-Dec-14 17:50:44

We have walnut worktops, probably a couple of years old now. I just used a very fine grit sandpaper and painted two coats of this on in the satin finish

www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern.cfm?bookid=Products&chapter=82&page=255

two mornings running. I didn't rub it in hard or use the wood protector, just painted a thin coat on x 2. Looks like new still and we are not terribly careful.

annalouiseh Fri 05-Dec-14 18:30:43

You just need the clear matt as it wont yellow the wood in colour, will just enhance its natural effect

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?source=search_app&gfe_rd=cr&ei=e_iBVM-ZJ_Cq8wenz4CIBQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=osmo+3062

Nepotism Sat 06-Dec-14 21:56:39

Thanks, got the last tin on the shelf. I'm imagining hordes of mumsnetters were in there before me!

Nepotism Fri 12-Dec-14 13:18:54

Help - I applied with a cloth as per the instructions on the website. It appears to dry immediately - it says 8 - 10 hours. It's very difficult to tell it's been done - is this normal?

PigletJohn Fri 12-Dec-14 16:21:05

first it soaks into the wood, then it oxidises and starts to harden.

I expect you have seen it soaking in and looking dry.

As you apply more coats, and the surface of the wood becomes more saturated with oil, it will soak in slower.

It is important to polish off any excess lying on the surface while still wet, as it will become sticky and gummy as it oxidises, which is very difficult to remove. Think of an old cooking oil bottle, gummy round the neck.

Nepotism Fri 12-Dec-14 16:25:36

Thanks Piglet John, very useful. My extra virgin olive pressed by the feet of Tuscan virgins never gets gummy ;)

RaisingSteam Fri 12-Dec-14 17:37:30

Do two thin coats and see how it goes. When the second coat is dry splash on some water - if it beads you're there.

Nepotism Fri 12-Dec-14 22:44:56

Thanks, just did the second coat and it's noticeably different so I'll try the water in the morning.

neepsandtatties Sat 13-Dec-14 10:21:12

Let us know how you get on - I'll be in your position in a couple of weeks!

Nepotism Sun 14-Dec-14 22:50:44

Hi Neeps, four coats later (I'm very cautious) it's beading. Extremely easy to apply, I wouldn't go back to Danish oil, but it's so invisible I'm worried I haven't done it properly. I'll do a few more coats just in case.

neepsandtatties Mon 15-Dec-14 08:14:33

Fantastic - thanks for updating. And that was the clear matt top oil, yes?

Nepotism Mon 15-Dec-14 16:32:42

It was - if I ever see my house in daylight again, I'll post a pic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now