Talk

Advanced search

cost of renovation/redecoration

(3 Posts)
morningtoncrescent62 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:47:07

It's ages since I had major work done on the house and I've no idea what price range I should be looking at for the following:

Replacement carpet for hall, stairs and landing
Replace horrible laminate floor in bedroom with carpet
New bathroom
New bathroom door (pref wooden to match other doors)
New lighting in hall, living room and bedroom
Painting throughout including ceilings (hall, stairs, landing, two bedrooms, living room)
Probably new boiler - mine's about 15 years old and unreliable so it probably makes sense to have this done at the same time

I live in a maisonette so you come in the front door, straight up some stairs, fairly big open-plan hallway (big enough for dining table and chairs) and high ceilings on the stairway.

I know a lot depends on the quality of materials etc., but what would be a realistic price range for I suppose middle-range fittings? Good enough to look nice and function well for some time, but not top spec. I'm arranging for some firms to come in and quote, and at the moment I'm in the position that they could tell me anything and I'd believe them!

WhatKatyDidnt Fri 05-Dec-14 21:17:08

Trades' rates depend a lot on your location but here's my guesstimate:

Replacement carpet for hall, stairs and landing - £1.5k?
Replace horrible laminate floor in bedroom with carpet - £500?
New bathroom - £5k?
New bathroom door (pref wooden to match other doors) - £150?
New lighting in hall, living room and bedroom - depends on how much you move things around and the effect on plaster, ceilings etc
Painting throughout including ceilings (hall, stairs, landing, two bedrooms, living room) - £2k?
Probably new boiler - mine's about 15 years old and unreliable so it probably makes sense to have this done at the same time - same type of boiler (eg combi) or different? £1.5-£3k.

morningtoncrescent62 Wed 10-Dec-14 18:27:55

Thanks, WhatKatyDidnt, that's really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now