Talk

Advanced search

Correct screwdriver (head) for IKEA

(11 Posts)
Cleebourg Thu 04-Dec-14 14:02:49

Last time I put together shelves from IKEA, a neighbour, since gone, lent me a screwdriver as, though I had dozens, I hadn't got what I needed. I can't remember. Do I need a cross-thread or something? I have the standard 'flat' ones, and also Philips', but they're not right, and I don't want to wreck the screws.

wowfudge Thu 04-Dec-14 14:32:52

It depends what it is you are putting together what the screws are. Why don't you invest in a ratchet screwdriver with a selection of different heads then you are set up for pretty much everything? Take the different Ikea screws with you when you go to the ironmongers or B&Q to be sure you have the right thing.

Cleebourg Thu 04-Dec-14 16:00:19

Thanks - we have a lovely independent ironmonger in the village, good excuse to visit

SquinkiesRule Thu 04-Dec-14 16:32:56

Seems like all the ikea stuff we have put together used an Allen key. and it came with the furniture in the box.

wowfudge Thu 04-Dec-14 16:49:53

They do always supply the correct size allen key, but never screwdrivers!

I've built tons of IKEA stuff (work there!) and apart from the allen key in the box I've never needed anything other than a standard flat head or a philips. It shouldn't need anything hard to come by

PigletJohn Thu 04-Dec-14 17:53:19

since the 1960's, the Phillips head has fallen out of use. Pozidrive is now more common and gives a better grip.

PZ screws have a faint cross on the head, between the deep cross that the screwdriver fits in. There are several sizes, and you need the correct size driver.

PigletJohn Thu 04-Dec-14 17:54:52

picture chart on right-hand side

Cleebourg Mon 08-Dec-14 09:48:37

[Though I said thanks to all... msg hasn't appeared... yet, trying again] Apologies for silence, many thanks for help - chart especially great, Piglet John.

hereandtherex Mon 08-Dec-14 12:04:28

Ikea sell a mini tool box - hammer, screwdriver, etc.

They are very good quality and very cheap. I would recommend them to everyone - even if you do not buy Ikea stuff.

hereandtherex Mon 08-Dec-14 12:06:50

Here you go:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00169254/

£6.50. Bargain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now