Talk

Advanced search

Help! Trying to find a new home near London!

(7 Posts)
staples1952 Thu 04-Dec-14 14:00:21

Hello all, this is my first time posting on Mumsnet, but I've often looked on here before and you all seem to know a lot!

I'm currently looking for a home (up to £250,000) 3+ bedrooms.
BUT it needs to be on a pretty direct route to London (Charing Cross particularly) because my daughter might be going to Uni near there, and she doesn't want to leave home (we're very close).
She is willing to travel up to 40 minutes on the train, and as she has Disabled Student Allowance she can have up to £38 taxi fare, which she might use when she gets to London.

We previously lived in Addlestone, so we know this area is expensive! We've looked at places like Swanley which has a really good line to Victoria (28 minutes!)

Have you any suggestions? Open to any. Thanks in advance!

bookishandblondish Thu 04-Dec-14 14:09:13

Is she looking at Kings?

I only ask because you could also look at trains going to Blackfriars/ Waterloo which might give more choice.

Also check out the redevelopment of London Bridge as some train lines will change next year in terms of being direct as opposed to changing at London Bridge.m

If LSE, then could look at Central line as well.

msfreud Thu 04-Dec-14 15:28:39

Usually I would recommend Plumstead SE18 but with the upcoming London Bridge redevelopment works we are just about to lose our Charing Cross trains until August 2016. The same will happen to other train routes to Charing Cross between now and 2018.

elastamum Thu 04-Dec-14 15:31:40

Flitwick in Bedfordshire? You can get straight into London bridge on the Thameslink and it is a bit cheaper than London

Andcake Thu 04-Dec-14 15:39:29

I would look at places near the train lines going out towards Orpington - so Hither green, Grove Park etc

staples1952 Thu 04-Dec-14 16:56:34

Hi! Thanks all for your super quick replies.

Bookish - she's looking at Drama UK schools, so LAMDA, Central etc.
Freud,Elasta and Andcake, I wasn't aware of the changes to the train lines, thats really good to know! Also, I'll look into all of the places. Many thanks!

bookishandblondish Fri 05-Dec-14 10:40:07

Isn't Central at Swiss Cottage? Lamda is near Barons Court - neither are near Charing X travel wise ( incl taxi)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now