Talk

Advanced search

Fireplace design ideas

(7 Posts)
MsCoconut Thu 04-Dec-14 12:17:07

DH and I have just purchased a 1930's terraced house and are doing up the living room. There are still some original features (parquet floor, coving) which we like. However, there is also an UGLY fireplace surround circa 1960 which we don't. It stretches from the chimney along one wall to the window. Other than getting rid of the brickwork ASAP, does anyone have any ideas on what to to do with the fireplace once the brickwork is gone?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 04-Dec-14 12:21:20

Make the hole larger amd stick a log burner in it?

MsCoconut Thu 04-Dec-14 12:37:11

I've been eyeing up wood burning stoves. Now how to enlarge a small hole?

I feel like this question might be setting myself up for some interesting replies

VivaLeBeaver Thu 04-Dec-14 12:38:40

Sledge hammer? grin

We had a firm do it all for us as its quite technical with flue linings, etc.

MsCoconut Thu 04-Dec-14 12:47:26

Yup, it's one i would get professionals into do.

Would places that sell and install fireplaces also be able to the building work/demolition or does it require hiring a few different people one for the demolition/enlargement and one for the chimney flue/hearth/installation?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 04-Dec-14 12:53:30

The two stove shops we got quotes from both had their own workmen.

One of the shops said we'd need to sort our own scaffolding out but the other firm didnt want to bother using it.

Took a day to do. I just picked the stove, hearth and beam and they did everything.

MsCoconut Thu 04-Dec-14 13:09:57

Thanks viva I'm going to start speaking to shops. They will hopefully know specifications about what size hole is necessary for a model.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now