Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen sinks - what is the small part for?

(22 Posts)
PinkOboe Tue 02-Dec-14 20:31:14

And do I need one with that little extra side sink?

I think I might prefer just one big square

wowfudge Tue 02-Dec-14 20:39:22

I like a half bowl - especially with a colander type insert. Useful when you are cleaning veg, etc. If there's stuff in the main sink, you can use the little one for hand washing or fill it with hot, soapy water for wiping down your surfaces. Soak things in the sink, but you can still have clean water for other things.

I wish I had one now!

PinkOboe Tue 02-Dec-14 20:43:51

Oh hello again smile

Hmm I see what you mean. It could be useful.

Any opinion on undemounted v un-undermounted?

I very much don't want stainless steel. It sets my teeth on edge. I got carried away looking at copper ones but I suppose they'd have the same effect. And can look a bit garish. And wouldn't match my knobs and sockets. So I guess It'll have to be ceramic.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Tue 02-Dec-14 20:47:11

I don't know what i would do without mine.

Say the sink is full of hot water, and I am gathering together dirty dishes. Say there are dregs at the bottom of cups and glasses. The dregs go into the middle drain sink and the cups and glasses can be washed.

wowfudge Tue 02-Dec-14 21:09:36

I would always go with stainless steel because it is so hygienic.

I've no experience of an undermounted sink - but I do prefer a decent draining board. My preference is practicality over looks when it comes down to it.

Greencheese Tue 02-Dec-14 21:12:47

Our new house doesn't have the little sink like our old one did. I do miss it. Great for rinsing!

BackforGood Tue 02-Dec-14 21:13:59

I prefer a larger sink, and then I use a washing up bowl in the sink, so can drain away dregs / wash hands / etc around the edge of where the hot bubbly clean water is, but also be able to get the grill pan in there when it needs a wash, or the oven shelves, or various other large things that won't fit in a normal sink.

Stainless steel all the way for me though.

MMcanny Tue 02-Dec-14 21:18:53

Pour away dregs and rinse off suds. Saying that, I don't really need it now as everything goes in the dishwasher.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 02-Dec-14 21:21:07

I put dirty cutlery in the half bowl bit. Mine is a black granite composite one

s113 Tue 02-Dec-14 21:23:41

Useful for rinsing. I use the main sink for washing, with the plug in, and then rinse each dish into the small sink.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Fri 05-Dec-14 07:39:30

We have the 1 1/2 sink thing in our kitchen. We use the small sink for washing veg, draing cups etc. BUT the main sink part is quite small. We have a huge sink in the utilit room which is where we wash up baking trays, grill pans etc.

If I didn't have a second sink in the utility then I would make sure that my main kitchen sink was as large as possible.

specialsubject Fri 05-Dec-14 10:16:31

the smaller bowl is very useful, especially in this house where there are always dregs in coffee/tea/water glasses. (I have regular visitors who never drink more than two sips of a cuppa...)

otherwise when you are washing up you are stuck, you can't even put things in the dishwasher without getting splashed.

CrapBag Fri 05-Dec-14 11:36:11

I'd never had a half bowl sink and wasn't bothered. Then we moved and our new house has one and I use it all the time. When we get our kitchen done I will definitely be getting a half bowl and pan drawers. Something else I couldn't do without now I've had them.

schilke Sat 06-Dec-14 22:43:22

New kitchen going in at the moment. We decided on a larger sink with no half bowl. I love it. I never really liked the small half bowl. The larger sink looks much neater and the kitchen fitter thinks it looks smarter too.

sacbina Sat 06-Dec-14 22:59:47

shilke - can I be nosy and ask what large sink you got?? thank you

Viviennemary Sun 07-Dec-14 12:56:19

When we got our kitchen years ago they suggested a one and a half bowl. I said OK not thinking it would make any difference. It does. Best thing ever. Useful for rinsing extra dirty plates and so on. And rinsing out teapot if you use one. We got a Franke but they're quite expensive now. But worth it I think.

TheEnduringMoment Sun 07-Dec-14 13:03:13

We got one very large one and one very small one and it's a godsend, even with a diswasher. You want a big sink to wash big stuff, like soaking oven shelves etc, but that means it's much too big to use for a couple of mugs or a little art projecty thing. And if you do need to do a big handwash you can do a large bowl of soapy water for washing and then dip briefly in a small sink of clean hot water to rinse, which is by far the most efficient way.

iggymama Sun 07-Dec-14 16:34:06

I currently have a one and a half bowl which I hate. The larger part is not large enough and turning large roasting pans end to end to wash each half is a messy nuisance.

Next time I hope to have a Blanco Andano stainless steel sink which has a bowl that is a huuuge 40cm by 70cm. I can then use lots of accessories like a chopping board, colander and bowls from Ikea Bredskar and Boholmen range that will fit my good quality sink. I can make the big sink smaller by using bowls to divide, but you can never make a small sink bigger.

schilke Sun 07-Dec-14 20:32:12

sacbina - my new sink is made by Caple. It's 40cm x 55cm and is stainless steel.

schilke Sun 07-Dec-14 20:34:25

To be honest - I didn't even know what make it was until it arrived. It was just ordered out of the kitchen fitter's catalogue! Our kitchen is budget....needs to be after the extension!

Esmum07 Sun 07-Dec-14 20:59:06

I had a one and half before but, when we put in our new kitchen I changed to a large single bowl - 43cm by 57cm. I wouldn't go back to a one and a half. I just pour dregs into a washing up bowl if the sink is in use. I use a colander to rinse fruit and veg as I have a spray sprogget thing from Lakeland on the tap (called tap adapter or something like that) which turns it into a spray type tap with a 360turn so I can aim it and have a soft spray. That, by the way, is a favourite and only cost £10! Pushed up it releases normal spray pressure, pulled down it turns into a shower type spray - bargain!

I love my sink because I can just put all the oven shelves in it, chuck in a couple of dishwasher tablets, fill it with boiling water and walk away. An hour later the shelves just need a gentle wipe with a scouring sponge and they gleam and no messy draining board which I had with the one and a half as I had to scrub on the draining board because the sink wasn't big enough.

I have a stainless steel undermounted sink and a granite worktop. Been in a year and looks great. The dishwasher tablets bring it up a treat!

PinkOboe Sun 07-Dec-14 22:23:46

Like the sound of your spray thingy esemum

Right. I think I like this one it has a small hole for dregs. Goes right to the back of the work surface so no soggy behind sink area which I like.

Can anyone see any obvious flaw I'm missing?

Tbh I very seldom wash up. If it can't survive the dishwasher it's no friend of mine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now