Talk

Advanced search

Selling my house for more...

(7 Posts)
kward123 Tue 02-Dec-14 10:43:16

Hiya all,

We live in London and are about to put our house on the market. I have been doing some research into what we can do to get the best value for our property and the clever targeted advertising on facebook lead me to a website for a company called Propia (www.propia.co.uk).

They seem to have some good ideas but I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of them and can make any recommendations? Either way, any suggestions for what to do to get the best value for our property would be gratefully received.

Cheers

K

specialsubject Tue 02-Dec-14 11:08:00

assuming this isn't an ad - don't waste your money on home-staging. Get down the library and borrow a book.

or post pictures on here and the mumsnetters will advise tear the place to pieces for free.

kward123 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:29:47

specialsubject, thanks for that, I assume your post isn't an advert for the library!!??

I'm thinking about actually extending so it is more than just home-staging....given their consultation is free I might get them round to see what they say and can always take their advice and do it myself if I don't like them!

K

specialsubject Tue 02-Dec-14 12:16:53

smile

oh well, if that is their business model then go for it, but do check small print.

even in London, is it worth extending to sell? Will you get your money back?

wowfudge Tue 02-Dec-14 12:40:33

Unless the house really needs extending to be liveable then would it not be more cost effective to gets plans and pictures of an extension drawn up and possibly obtain planning permission to make it more saleable? That way you've done the grunt work and a purchaser can then tailor the interior and so on to their own tastes.

Too many '-ables' in there, but you get my drift.

kward123 Tue 02-Dec-14 16:18:17

For what it is worth, I have now spoken with one of the guys at Propia (James, I think). He said that the cost of extending into the garden would c. £250 per sq foot and given the property values in my area (SW18) are £731 (he told me about this website: www.findproperly.co.uk/price-per-square-foot.php#.VH3k4zGsXD4) it would seem like a sensible thing to do, but he would want to understand how much garden this leaves and the layout/size of the rest of the house before proceeding.

I also threw wowfudge's question at him and he said that getting permission etc is an option which would help add value if we don't want the disruption of the actual work.

Anyway, just thought I would let you know after your helpful feedback. He seemed friendly and well spoken and is going to come round at the end of the week for a proper consultation (which he says is free) so I will keep you posted!

K

bryonyelf Wed 03-Dec-14 11:01:48

Call me an old synic but I find your first posts on mumsnet advertising another company a tad suspicious!

Extending your property will take a long time so not something to consider when you say you are just about to put your house in the market. Get independent agents in to give you a valuation now, speak to builders and architects regarding extending.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now