Talk

Advanced search

Workbench recommendations please!

(11 Posts)
KittyOSullivanKrauss Sun 30-Nov-14 22:45:40

DH has been sawing up an old wardrobe today to make some shelves, and it occurred to me that he could really do with a workbench for Xmas, and it would be a good surprise for him (he usually asks for socks...). I've just looked at reviews of a few on Amazon, and there seems to be a general theme of products being a bit too flimsy these days. DH likes things to be very solid and work properly, click in neatly etc etc. Any recommendations?

roneik Mon 01-Dec-14 17:32:51

I have had one of these for over 20 years and it's still going strong. They fold flat which is handy . It's a good bench, very stable

www.screwfix.com/p/black-decker-workmate-wm550-black/26871?kpid=26871&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=26871&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Hand%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Hand%20Tools&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwPCjBRDZp9LWno3p7rEBEiQAGj3KJmpKcBXVbOt0_cc1SV9DjHJiQFJsnXydZBvY3wgQzpEaAgyf8P8HAQ

roneik Mon 01-Dec-14 17:45:05

This one is cheaper, but does not have vertical clamp ability

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7003213.htm

KittyOSullivanKrauss Mon 01-Dec-14 22:11:27

Thanks roneik, that was one of the ones I was looking at but I was put off by the reviews. Helpful to hear that you like it.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 01-Dec-14 22:14:27

Thats the one I was going to recommend too. I particularly like that the DC can do woodwork at it without the leg extensions up i.e. Its lower down.

PigletJohn Tue 02-Dec-14 09:24:01

if you have a roomy garage or shed, you can also get wooden workbenches, which are very sturdy (and heavy) and will not fold up.

They are basically a kit of planks, cut to size ready to be screwed together. I had one but foolishly kept it outside in the rain, and despite treating it, after many years it rotted.

roneik Tue 02-Dec-14 14:16:21

cant understand the bad reviews unless they have cut down on the quality. I have done endless work over the years with this bench. I have had everything you could think of including chop saw bolted to it , straddled doors on it for trimming with the aid of another home made saw horse bench.

roneik Tue 02-Dec-14 14:23:47

In the reviews on the first bench it says the surfaces are made of bamboo. Mine is made of three quarter inch plywood. If the top wore out it would be easy enough to make a new one from ply. Bamboo is a hard wood so I don't see a problem

CanadianJohn Tue 02-Dec-14 14:24:45

I have a Black and Decker workbench very similar to the one shown... I've had it for at least 25 years, probably longer, and it works very well.

PigletJohn Tue 02-Dec-14 15:41:58

the design has changed over the years.

My first one was blue and had an aluminium casting in the middle, my newer one is all black pressed steel.

KittyOSullivanKrauss Tue 02-Dec-14 21:29:34

Thanks for the additional messages, very helpful. Yes, my Dad has an older style blue B&D workmate. He's doing much less DIY now but still uses it now and then. I did think about a wooden workbench, but think he'd prefer it to fold up to give us more chance of getting a car in the garage. Good point about DC being able to have a go. I think I'll go with that one. Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now