Talk

Advanced search

My cooker hood is not working

(5 Posts)
Icyblue Sun 30-Nov-14 11:30:51

Hi, my CHK60SS cooker is not working. The light switches on but the motor/fan is not working. What could be wrong and is there anything I can replace/repair myself before calling out an electrician? Thanks for your help.

PigletJohn Sun 30-Nov-14 13:52:23

if the light works but not the fan, it will be either the switch worn out, or the motor failed. Unless you have recently opened it up to change the filter or something, and disturbed something, it is very unlikely to be a connector, and I think it unlikely to be an electrician type problem, unless he can see how to repair the appliance.

If it is an expensive or built-in one, it may be worth getting it repaired. An appliance repairer or the manufacturer can probably do it. See if spare parts are listed somewhere like here if you try the maker's name it may be a common type of motor or switch (if that's where the fault lies).

It is just possible that it has a safety interlock to prevent the motor running if the case or filters are not correctly closed (mine hasn't)

PigletJohn Sun 30-Nov-14 13:58:33

these people say

"... virtually every component is routed through the main control switch or electronic module.

Because of this it makes the control module or switches the spot where failure is most likely to occur and, does.

By far and away the next most common fault is of course the electronic control module or switch. Contacts or relays blow, tracks lift and so on with regularity and this is the weak spot on most cooker hoods.

Motors rarely fail. Cooker hood motors do fail, but nowhere near as common as the other faults above so look to the main control board or switches before you go to the motor looking for a fault as they are rarely under any stress"

PigletJohn Sun 30-Nov-14 14:01:32

but consider the price of a new one

Icyblue Sun 30-Nov-14 15:03:08

Thanks Pigletjohn, I'll get my husband to check the points you mentioned above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now