Advanced search

Does anyone know Horsforth in Leeds

(52 Posts)
ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 15:36:30

Hello. We're planning a move back to Yorkshire from Hertfordshire to be closer to family.

We're looking at North Yorkshire but I also like the idea of being in Leeds, particularly Horsforth. I've only been there once, years ago, and remember it as being lovely but that's about it.

I'd love some inside information on it.
Does it have a good community feel? Does it feel buzzy with lots to do with toddlers? Which nurseries and schools would you recommend? Also how is the commute into Leeds City centre? And does it feel like a suburb of Leeds or does it have its own identity as a place?

We'll have a budget of around £250k and would like a three bedroom with a decent garden near a good school. It seems doable from what I've seen on rightmove. Any areas to avoid though?

Thanks so much in advance!

Bunbaker Sat 29-Nov-14 15:43:22

I used to live near Horsforth. I like it. It has a mixture of housing, shops, pubs, places to eat etc. The main thing to be aware of is to make sure you don't buy a house under the flight path of Leeds Bradford airport, so avoid the Scotland Lane area.

Horsforth covers quite a wide area and has a railway station. The drive to Leeds is slow because of the volume of traffic. You might like to look at Rawdon and Guiseley as well.

Bunbaker Sat 29-Nov-14 15:44:36

Sorry, I posted too soon. I lived there pre DC so I don't know what nurseries and schools are like.

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 15:51:11

Thanks. I forgot about Rawdon. There are some lovely houses there too.

sunflower49 Sat 29-Nov-14 15:53:27

I loved Horsforth. Lovely area, great community. The bus ride to Leeds was slow because traffic's horrendous but I guess you get that with any big city.

I think it definitely has its own identity as a place.

I agree on Rawdon/Guisely being other places within the vicinity that may be worth a look.

Bunbaker Sat 29-Nov-14 15:56:42

Guiseley is on the Ilkley line so commuting by train would be a better option.

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 16:00:51

Thanks. At the moment DH is commuting into London and doesn't get home until 8pm. Hopefully the commute into Leeds wouldn't be so bad. I hope....

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 16:03:24

We're looking at Menston too because it's on that line. Only concern with there is secondary schools as we're not Catholic. Think it may be in catchment for Ilkley Grammar? Although DD is only two so we're more concerned with a good primary really.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 29-Nov-14 16:05:22

The bus is slow but the train is quick. Horsforth is big but the station only serves one side really.

The new Horsforth Vale development has a bus link to the train station.

Otherwise, you'd get a nice house in Cookridge for that budget, and within walking distance of the station on the Leeds-Harrogate line.

All the schools in Horsforth are great.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 29-Nov-14 16:08:42

Ginzillas I would think you'd be in the catchment of the Guiseley High schools, which are both good I think.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Sat 29-Nov-14 16:09:42

Under the rules now you need to live in LS18 to get into Horsforth High School. I think these primaries have very good reputations: Featherbank, Newlaithes, St Margaret's, Westbrook - there are other good ones too.

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 16:12:11

Great, I'll add Cookridge to the list, thank you! Do the areas merge together?

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 16:13:39

Thanks for the tip on primaries. Incidentally I read that David Milliband went to Newlaithes as he lived in Horsforth for a while during his childhood. Who knew!?

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Sat 29-Nov-14 16:22:20

And Ed Miliband went to Featherbank :-)

AnythingNotEverything Sat 29-Nov-14 16:23:18

Cookridge is basically a suburb/extended housing estate up the hill on the station side of Horsforth. There's no high street, just a Tesco and post office) but it's much cheaper than Horsforth. The high school is Ralph Thoresby which didn't used to be great but is rapidly improving and has enjoyed great gcse results recently.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more. I don't want to say too much and out myself here.

Re: toddlers - lots of activity and classes to attend locally. Real family area.

RockySpeed Sat 29-Nov-14 16:25:30

I have 2 DCs (1 school age) and have lived in Horsforth for the last 7 years - PM me Ido can be of any help xx

RockySpeed Sat 29-Nov-14 16:25:50

Sorry about the typos!

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 16:42:01

I will definitely PM you both for more info once we are a bit further on in our search, if we decide to go for this area. Thanks again!

PiratePanda Sat 29-Nov-14 18:59:05

I think Menston is catchment for Prince Henry's in Otley, no?

Try Burley-in-Wharfedale. Both primaries (one CofE the other not) are excellent, it's on the train line (20 mins to Leeds centre, 10 to Ilkley), and it's in catchment for Ilkley Grammar. It is hands down the nicest, friendliest place I have ever lived, with lots going on for small children.

KittyMcAllister Sat 29-Nov-14 19:07:40

I live in Horsforth! Great area for young families, real village feel, excellent schools & facilities plus a lovely park. The commute is much improved by the bus lane along the A65 - takes about 20-30 mins max even in rush hour. Cannot recommend living here highly enough. Please feel free to PM me if you do decide to live round here!

Bunbaker Sat 29-Nov-14 20:07:05

Menston is nice. We have friends there. There is a station there as well.

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 21:22:47

Ooh, this is making me really excited. I'm desperate to get back to Yorkshire. I wondered about Burley in Wharfedale because the houses on rightmove seem great but I was worried it would be too quiet. But what you've said is very encouraging PiratePanda, thank you.

ginzillas Sat 29-Nov-14 21:23:44

And thanks to everyone else too for your helpful comments.

TheGirlFromIpanema Sat 29-Nov-14 21:37:11

I'm near Horsforth Op. Dc's at High school there now but all primaries have excellent reputations. Fair amount of childminders etc too, lovely park, easy access to counyryside too which is a big plus for North Leeds imo smile

Feel free to pm anytime!

anyportinastorm Sat 29-Nov-14 21:40:51

I lived in Horsforth for years. I have lived in Guiseley and now in burley in Wharfedale
Commuting into leeds by train is the same from all 3 places. 2 trains an hour with extra during rush hour

Burley is a lovely village. We use the trains a lot for nights out in Ilkley and Leeds. Guiseley is a cheaper area and more of a town. The shops and pubs are good. There's a few nice restaurants too.
We prefer Ilkley now as its a quieter area.
Horsforth is more of a suburb. I don't know about schools but it's very spread out. Again there are nice pubs and restaurants.

Getting a bus into Leeds in rush hour is never good. I'd definitely go for a train commute. It takes 20 mins from here.

Avoid Hawksworth, Low Lane area and Brownberrie Lane areas for flight path.

Feel free to pm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now