Talk

Advanced search

Leaded windows - WHY!

(9 Posts)
Anticyclone Fri 28-Nov-14 16:08:52

We live in modern times and and have the advantage of the latest window technology. Double and triple glazing, better heat and sound insulation, and best of all - huge windows allowing uninterrupted views...

So why on earth would you decide to cover these perfectly good, large windows with "faux" lead!!

No it doesn't make your 1930s terrace look like a middle age castle, inside it feels like you're living in a prison and makes you look like a numpty with questionable taste! angry

... Sorry, I felt like a rant as we bought a house with leaded windows and of course it isn't really cost effective to replace them. So we're stuck with the lead, and every time I look out a tiny piece of me dies.

Floggingmolly Fri 28-Nov-14 16:11:10

If it's something stuck on top of the glass; can you remove it?

OwlCapone Fri 28-Nov-14 16:11:17

<<gazes fondly at original 1930s leaded lights>>

wowfudge Fri 28-Nov-14 16:15:29

And block out half the light!

Anticyclone Fri 28-Nov-14 16:17:30

Oh, being stuck on top of the glass would be straightforward wouldn't it! But of course no... the lead is built into the inside of the double glazed unit.

Ach, I'm not really looking for solutions, just blowing off steam!

Floggingmolly Fri 28-Nov-14 16:36:36

Ah... I only suggested that because there was a strange fad around 20 years ago for covering windows in a criss cross design using some kind of rubberised masking tape, believe it or not grin

HortenMarket Fri 28-Nov-14 16:43:35

I feel your pain OP. While recently house hunting I ruled out anything with faux leaded windows. Refused point black to view them. And trust me, there were plenty houses with them!

Inthedarkaboutfashion Fri 28-Nov-14 16:47:02

It isn't that expensive (in relative terms) to replace the glass. We replaced an enormous window due to a misted pane and it only cost £120. As you are not changing the frames it is a fairly reasonable cost in comparison to having a new frame and glass installed.
Could you just do the front windows?

Anticyclone Fri 28-Nov-14 17:32:41

Unbelievably only a year before we moved in, the previous owner actually put leaded windows in the back! Where no bugger can actually see them!

What is heartbreaking is we actually have some quite nice views out the back...

Even the French doors are leaded... I despair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now