Advanced search

Condensation/ Damp in rental flat.

(6 Posts)
whataboutbob Fri 28-Nov-14 08:27:37

My dad rents out a student flat and as he is too unwell to manage it I do so via power of attorney . Two of the rooms have re current condensation problems around the windows. I have asked tenants not to dry clothes in their rooms and to wipe windows down ( can t be sure they have done so). Now it has escalated to outright mould around windows and in a clothes cupboard. What should I do? Get it checked out by damp expert? Just clean off affected areas? Is it worth investing in aa dehumidifier? Thanks for any advice.

specialsubject Fri 28-Nov-14 10:08:25

get the place checked for leaking gutters, windows etc, and blocked airbricks if it is on the ground floor. In short, eliminate/fix building problems which cause damp.

if it isn't that, then it is condensation. Do they have a place to dry washing? Would it be worth providing a tumble dryer?

but you can only go so far with facilities and education, I fear.

burnishedsilver Fri 28-Nov-14 13:41:34

In the short term a dehumidifier might help.

There's a reasonable chance that the don't put the heat on and never open windows. Is there a decent extractor in the bathroom?

colliewobbles83 Fri 28-Nov-14 17:26:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colliewobbles83 Fri 28-Nov-14 17:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whataboutbob Fri 28-Nov-14 18:58:29

Thanks everyone. There is an extrator fan in the kitchen and the bathroom. I think maybe the next step is a tumble dryer. I will ask them again to make sure they dry their clothes in the kitchen and open their windows sometimes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: