Talk

Advanced search

tv not working ? Any tips ?

(13 Posts)
OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 27-Nov-14 18:53:33

I know it's a lame question to ask - I've tried changing the batteries in the remote and even changed the fuse in the plug - I've tested the plug socket ( plugged an air freshener in and it worked ) but my bedroom tv just won't switch on ! It's only about 18months old - surely it shouldn't have died already ?!
Can anyone offer any other suggestions?!
Thanks in advance ! flowers

wowfudge Thu 27-Nov-14 19:06:53

Will it come in if you open the front or side panel and press the channel buttons manually?

What type of TV is it?

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 27-Nov-14 20:07:51

Hi - thanks for replying - it's a Bush tv/DVD player - it's not starting even when I hit the manual on / off switch at the back - just changed the fuse again for a brand new one out of a packet - still nothing !!!

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 27-Nov-14 20:08:53

Bush LED 24970DVDFH DW

wowfudge Fri 28-Nov-14 05:01:56

Sounds as though it has died.

What was the warranty on it? I think if it came with a 12 month warranty but has failed like this after just 18 months you could legitimately say it isn't fit for purpose. I'd contact the manufacturer and see what they will do in these circumstances.

roneik Fri 28-Nov-14 16:19:29

Probably the capacitors on the power pack bulging/failed

Maplins sell them and a thin tipped soldering iron with low heat output will desolder and re fit

Where the power cable ends on the circuit board will be the capacitors, if that's the problem they will be bulging at the tops.

roneik Fri 28-Nov-14 16:27:29

If the power light is on but no show of picture on screen could be inverter failed. Again just undo case and below screen usually is a 5 inch by half inch inch wide circuit board , this is the inverter converts 12 volt to 239/40 to sine wave. replace and voila picture (sometimes)
Laptops all have one below the screen. They convert domestic power to a sine wave that is 12 volts , but gives the same effect as 239/49 v

roneik Fri 28-Nov-14 16:40:59

Desoldering graphics chips capacitors laptop power socket all within the diyr
Just need patience and the right soldering iron

I have rescued many laptops with broken power sockets. The job would cost at least £100 in a outlet. Socket can be had on ebay for a couple of pounds . The day's of mending will soon be compulsory for many as our economy is failing. It's terminal from where I am seeing

AMumInScotland Fri 28-Nov-14 16:47:22

I would contact both the shop where you bought it and the manufacturer. 18 months is not a reasonable lifespan for a television, so you have good legal grounds for asking them to repair/replace it.

I certainly wouldn't consider getting a soldering iron to it, as they would then say that you had broken it while messing around hmm

roneik Fri 28-Nov-14 17:01:35

I think the consumer rights are only 12 months on most products

Get a soldering iron you know you want to grin

roneik Fri 28-Nov-14 17:03:14

A soldering iron in anyone but a halfwits hands is quite safe

You dont even have to put the cat out

roneik Fri 28-Nov-14 17:12:02

Don't forget the flux and thin solder wire toogrin

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 28-Nov-14 19:49:58

Thank you all - I think I will take it into the shop and see what they say ! If they leave me to deal with it I might just head over to Maplins !! Thanks again ! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now