Talk

Advanced search

Did you bother to get a permitted development certificate for your loft conversion?

(7 Posts)
DaffodilField Thu 27-Nov-14 14:23:41

And if not, why not? I am dithering. Seems a lot of hassle. But will not having one be even more hassle?

whataboutbob Thu 27-Nov-14 14:36:55

We just had a loft conversion done and i am not even sure what a permitted development certificate is. However we did get planning permission, and a certificate of completion when it was all done.

bilbodog Thu 27-Nov-14 15:57:09

this will possibly cause you a problem if you ever try to sell the house in future as solicitors and buyers insist of having certificates for EVERYTHING these days. If it doesn't have certification you might not be able to sell it as a 4 bedroom house (assuming this gives you a 4th bedroom) as estate agents may not be able to class it as a 'proper room' without the certificate these days and that can me a lot of difference to the price of the house.

TeddyBee Thu 27-Nov-14 16:41:53

Yes, that reminds me that I need to book building control to come by and (hopefully) sign ours off. Selling is a nightmare without it.

dipsymummy Thu 27-Nov-14 17:38:17

Yes, I would go down that route. We sold our house (which had a lift conversion )a few months ago and the solicitor wanted paperwork blah blah for EVERYTHING. It just causes frustrating delays if anything is missing .

dipsymummy Fri 28-Nov-14 09:47:25

Meant loft conversion!

janinlondon Fri 28-Nov-14 11:10:04

Unless, like all our neighbours, you just tell prospective buyers that if they want certificates for everything they should look elsewhere. Houses in our street are all selling without permissions now. Such is the market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now