Talk

Advanced search

kitchen mixer tap

(8 Posts)
inconceivableme Thu 27-Nov-14 14:16:23

Need a new one. Any recommendations on what to look for and where to buy from please?
Are they a standard size / fitting?
Are the eco ones functional and worth having? We have a water meter.
Are the ones with a pull out rinser head thing good?
Thanks

PestoStormissimos Thu 27-Nov-14 14:20:35

I replaced mine recently. My plumber recommended getting a Bristan one. He told me to pick one off their website & tell him & then he bought it at trade price for me.

Riverland Thu 27-Nov-14 14:47:33

I'm ligging in here to ask..do we need a plumber to replace an old mixer tap? Mine is on its way out..d'you think I could do it myself?

If not..what's the going rate for a job like this? I actually have a Bristan waiting to be fitted.

poocatcherchampion Thu 27-Nov-14 18:45:04

we fitted a b&q Cooke and lewis spray one on the weekend ourselves. so far so much love. we didn't know what brand to get, would have bought bristan if I'd read this thread by then so in the end we went for one we could feel so we knew it was more solid than what we have in the utility room!

it was pretty easy for dh to fit. just required turning water off, cutting pipes back a bit ( fitting new sink at same time), attaching it to sink and loading the whole thing in. screwing it up and putting it on.

I was an observer but they didn't hummm and haaa much so must have been simple! grin.

Hakluyt Thu 27-Nov-14 18:49:13

We chose a pull out rinsed head one because we thought,for some reason that now escapes me, that it was funny. But I wouldn't be without it now- it's so useful! I always miss it when I'm in someone else's kitchen.

BL00CowWonders Thu 27-Nov-14 18:51:34

pull-out doesn't work for long in areas with hard water - bitter experience. John Lewis website reviews confirm it.
but it looked good for the first few weeks...

Hakluyt Thu 27-Nov-14 22:15:46

We have incredibly hard water -think ring of lime scale if you leave a glass of water next to your bed for a couple of days- and our pull out rinsey thing is still OK. I wonder why?

inconceivableme Fri 28-Nov-14 12:07:29

Thanks. We have soft water so don't get much build up.
A friend mentioned tap reviver kits as an alternative to getting the whole tap replaced but the designs are a bit limited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now