Talk

Advanced search

Replacing damaged carpets from flood

(7 Posts)
Looseleaf Thu 27-Nov-14 13:01:41

Hello

We have twice been flooded from a leak in the bathroom above us and the walls and carpets need repair (the carpets rotted under the bed as was a slow leak as we realised eventually when the ceiling showed water. It has created mould too in our children's room and set off dh's asthma)

I have proof that the room was dry when we bought the flat 2 years ago and had no damp issues and the landlady upstairs is talking to insurers and organising a contractor to redecorate.

I need this done ASAP due to dh's asthma and wondering can I choose carpets myself and pay any difference in value (I am even considering cork flooring given this is the second time this year there's been a substantial leak)?

Or are we limited to a carpet as similar to this one as the contractors can find? (This is fine too, just never dealt with this before).

Many thanks for any advice

wowfudge Thu 27-Nov-14 19:19:19

We had a similar situation where a burst pipe causing flooding to our cellar was covered by our accidental damage insurance. The carpet in the cellar was mouldy as we were away when it happened and it was warm - yuck.

The loss adjuster offered us carpet comparable to what had been there and we chose the colour we wanted. Did you buy the carpets which have been affected? If so that helps prove what you had. Insist on like for like in terms of composition and quality or ask to explore the options.

Looseleaf Thu 27-Nov-14 20:27:55

You are kind, this is so useful as this does sound a similar situation. I would be happy with the colour (beige , quite nondescript ) but we didn't put it in ourselves and due to the asthma this carpet triggered after the leak I'd probably try cork flooring instead if we could pay the difference. Do you think this would be reasonable? I don't trust that it won't happen again if it's been twice since January.

greenfolder Thu 27-Nov-14 21:03:17

That would seem reasonable. The insurer will most likely offer you the value of a similar carpet but it would be what they could replace the carpet for,using their purchasing power rather than what you would pay. This is typically 20 per cent less. Also bear in mind that the insurer will also make a deduction for wear and tear. How much do you think the carpet was?

Looseleaf Thu 27-Nov-14 22:17:21

Thanks for explaining as all new to me and sounds fair about wear and tear as I was feeling bad it wasn't exactly new- though it was in good condition and at least dry so we can't leave it as it is now.
I'm glad I can explore my own options and suggest paying the extra as I'd love something that this can't happen to again and so if we can afford cork (going to look into it) would be wonderful.

crappyday Thu 27-Nov-14 22:18:38

We had a flood due to burst pipe and were told how much insurance would pay. We just paid extra for better carpet.

Twrch62 Thu 27-Nov-14 23:06:02

Most insurance policies will be new for old, which means there shouldn't be a deduction for wear and tear, just an excess to pay.
As far as purchasing power, that doesn't really work for carpets, they normally have a list of "approved" suppliers who they get a "discount" from, however these supplies tend to inflate prices to cover this "discount"
You do not have to use these suppliers although the insurance companies try to make you think you do, stick to your guns, ask to get your own quotes, (insurance will normally want 2/3) then get a cash settlement and shop around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now