Talk

Advanced search

FTB in north or west London

(6 Posts)
HappyIdiot Mon 24-Nov-14 21:41:48

My brother is looking to buy for the first time in London. He's lived there the best part of 20 years but has never bought. In all that time he has always lived south and East and knows those areas very well. But now he is looking to buy somewhere north or west, mainly because we are originally from nw England and he will need to be coming home a lot more for family reasons, so will need good access to m4/m40/m1.

He is single, professional, mid-30s. Budget about 350-400k, could maybe go to 450k at the outside. Ideally would like a house and garden, and would be prepared to travel a bit further to get them, but is very realistic about how far his money will actually go. Area needs to be ok, and have the basics, but not too concerned about nice shops, parks, schools etc. He works near monument tube, so should have a lot of options transport-wise.

So... Any suggestions about which areas might suit?

superram Tue 25-Nov-14 17:24:36

Ealing or hanwell, tube to bank. Good schools for future reference, restaurants. If he is a bit more trendy then shepherds bush but more expensive.

superram Tue 25-Nov-14 17:25:42

Ealing is too expensive if he wants a house but might get a small 2 bed house in hanwell-cross rail is coming though so prices are rising.

WhereIsMyHat Wed 26-Nov-14 12:25:57

It depends on how he feel is about it being in a currently 'nice' area. Parts of hounslow are still cheap-ish but not very shiny. But it has a BR station, the picadilly line and great access to the M4. It is also bordered by richmond which is really nice and chiswick is just up the road.b

My OH and I live near but in another borough and if we had money would invest there.

WhereIsMyHat Wed 26-Nov-14 12:31:00

Meant not currently nice.

booksshoescats Wed 26-Nov-14 12:49:42

How about Arnos Grove/cheaper bit of Southgate? Piccadilly Line and good access to M1 just a bit further around the North Circular. Hendon has roads that are not too expensive, Northern Line and very quick to M1/A1 and North Circ to go round to the M4/M40. Also cheaper bits of Finchley.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now