Advanced search

What owners paperwork should I have??

(9 Posts)
dollyplumislotsoffun Mon 24-Nov-14 17:03:01

I don't really have much paperwork at all for our house. We bought 5 years ago and it's all a blur. Should I have paperwork?

wowfudge Mon 24-Nov-14 18:26:15

You should have copies of any warranties for things your solicitor will have asked for when the sale was proceeding. Your mortgage company may have sent you any old documents relating to the property which they didn't see the need to retain, etc.

Have you been asked for something for a specific purpose?

dollyplumislotsoffun Wed 26-Nov-14 15:25:40

no, not been asked for anything but just seems odd to own something so expensive and not really have any paperwork for it. also I vaguely remember the solicitor saying he should get some paperwork through from the previous owner getting windows replaced but he never passed anything our way. hope I don't need to produce that when I sell?
Thanks for replying.

WantToGoingTo Wed 26-Nov-14 19:23:36

If you have had any work done to the house while you are living there, it will be useful to give them copies of building reg certification and planning permission etc. Any utility service records would also be useful. The mortgage company will have the deeds (unless you paid the mortgage off) so that won't be a problem. If you have indemnity insurance they will want copies. I think it is mainly in respect of work you may have done on the house.

specialsubject Wed 26-Nov-14 19:29:21

windows - probably FENSA, and yes you WILL need the paperwork when you sell. If your solicitor can't be bothered, you can order duplicates from the FENSA website. Then send the solicitor the bill.

dollyplumislotsoffun Sun 30-Nov-14 09:40:36

I looked on the fends website and our address doesn't bring anything up?!

dollyplumislotsoffun Sun 30-Nov-14 10:26:01

Oh and just found out m old solicitor has shut up shop hmm

specialsubject Sun 30-Nov-14 11:42:43

if FENSA site doesn't bring anything for your address, it may because your windows were installed before it came into force (possibly 2007 but I'm guessing, please check)

or they were registered with another scheme, or not done properly.

perhaps try the council in the week to see what building regs records they hold on your house. If you have a boiler or a woodburner, they definitely should have records.

dollyplumislotsoffun Tue 02-Dec-14 23:08:03

Thanks that's really helpful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: