Talk

Advanced search

Would you throw away the furniture affected by damp or mould?

(10 Posts)
sammyjayneex Mon 24-Nov-14 16:16:43

So our house is affected by damp. I have my heating on, I open windows but the damp still appears on ceilings in my bathroom and bedrooms. Now as I was cleaning I noticed that all the wardrobes/bookshelves and cabinets are caked in mould at the back of them. I am sick of it and now I will have to throw them away and do without. I can't afford to replace them hmm my house smells of damp but the housing do nothing apart from give me a stupid little leaflet on damp. I am losing money and furniture because of this and they do nothing hmm would you throw the furniture away or just try and wipe it off?

grumpyoldgitagain Mon 24-Nov-14 16:25:06

Solid furniture like wardrobes etc I would just wipe over with bleach or similar

Also can you pull them away from the walls a few inches to let airflow around the back

sammyjayneex Mon 24-Nov-14 16:34:21

Thank you
I have just got loads of products to clean it and I am going to make sure I move it away from the wall
The rooms are quite small so it's hard but I am going to have to try something. It's awful

LegoAdventCalendar Mon 24-Nov-14 16:40:11

Buy damn traps and a dehumidifier. Clean the furniture with a Magic Eraser (the Flash ones are amazing). Paint the areas with damp stop. Air out the rooms every single day. Don't try clothes on heaters!

specialsubject Mon 24-Nov-14 18:00:14

ok, is it a building fault? If so then you need to raise merry hell with the council to get it fixed.

sammyjayneex Mon 24-Nov-14 18:26:33

It's a council house
I did go mad at them last year and they gave me a leaflet on damp and said there's not much they can do
I have called them today and they are sending someone our Monday
It will be interesting to see what they say

KristinaM Mon 24-Nov-14 18:43:46

Take photos of the problems

Go to see your councillor at their local surgery and show them

Take copies of all you correspondence and notes of meetings

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 24-Nov-14 18:47:47

Ventilate as much as possible,ensure there's adequete heating,and allow air circulation.
We get this problem,and certainly don't chuck the furniture.
Aim for as much as possible to back onto interior walls -avoid exterior ones if you can (especially north facing or ones with no hot pipes running above the skirting).
Try not to dry clothes indoors,and get a dehumidifier.
And kick up a stink.
Good luck!

specialsubject Tue 25-Nov-14 10:14:56

glad someone is coming out. Council houses are an asset maintained by everyone, so the council need to look after them! To assume that it isn't a building fault without checking is very lax.

let us know how you get on?

AdorableAbbie Wed 26-Nov-14 17:42:52

No I won't! if I can see that I can just clean it, why should I throw it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now