Advanced search

Just want to check I'm doing the right thing after a fire?

(5 Posts)
chicaguapa Mon 24-Nov-14 10:00:08

We let out a house at the other end of the country (accidental LL as we moved for work but couldn't sell it). The tenants have told us their car caught fire and it has damaged part of the outside of the house.

My immediate reaction was to call the buildings insurer to get the repairs done. I initially thought it would ultimately be a claim on their car insurance, but this isn't the case as the car was stationary when it caught fire. I've now found out it's going to go down as a fault claim and our insurance costs will go up on renewal.

I just wanted to check that we're doing the right thing and whether it's our responsibility to get the repairs done, or our tenants' as they caused the damaged (indirectly though it was their car that caught fire)? I've no idea of cost at the moment but they'll be significantly higher than the increase in our insurance.

I want to do the fairest thing, but not be a mug iyswim?

WantToGoingTo Mon 24-Nov-14 11:08:33

I think, as landlord, it is your responsibility. Tenants are responsible for ensuring their contents, but you are responsible for insuring the structural building. Although it was their car that caught fire, it doesn't sound deliberate. Any increase in premium I imagine you would have to bear. With regards to repairs, as landlord it is your responsibility to keep the place habitable. It is tenant's responsibility to use due care. I wouldn't expect a tenant to repair fire damage (unless it was arson!!)

wowfudge Mon 24-Nov-14 12:47:19

That doesn't sound right to me if their car was the cause of the fire. Surely your claim is against their motor insurance?

Speak to your buildings insurers though and see what they have to say.

WantToGoingTo Mon 24-Nov-14 14:48:43

I think motor insurance only covers other vehicles though and not buildings? As in 'third party, fire and theft' would cover damage to third party vehicles only?

Could be wrong... I would assume it is building insurance

chicaguapa Mon 24-Nov-14 17:43:42

Apparently the car insurance would only cover damage made whilst the car was being driven by the insured driver. I've double checked.

Thanks. Glad we have insurance then if it's our responsibility. Phew!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: