Talk

Advanced search

Christmas decorations when selling your property - should we?

(5 Posts)
ettiketti Sun 23-Nov-14 04:39:44

We've not long been on the market, lots of viewings but no offers. The children are excitedly talking about Christmas decorations but I wasn't planning on putting the tree up as its huge.
It really does look lovely when it's up but would buyers expect this or expect discreet Christmas accessories instead?

RudyMentary Sun 23-Nov-14 04:46:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VioletStar Sun 23-Nov-14 06:08:10

I did when selling house. Used lots of natural leaves and twigs (holly, ivy etc)., and a small real tree in a pot. Created cosy feel, which the buyer really liked. She could imagine her future xmases there. Go for it, but keep in style of property/ potential buyers.

Tinkerisdead Sun 23-Nov-14 06:13:38

I would because one of the things you do when buying a house it imagine where the christmas tree will go!

wonkylegs Sun 23-Nov-14 08:10:12

I would put it up. You don't know how long it will take to sell your house, so you can't put everything completely on hold.
A Christmas tree in December would be completely normal in a house so it would put me off when viewing - however I would caveat this with make sure decorations are proportional to the space they are in and don't overwhelm so they make the room look small.
For example we had a 10ft tree last year which was fine as our living room is a huge room with a very high Victorian ceiling. The tree was massive but looked in proportion to the room. My friend has a modern house and bought an 8ft tree that was way too big for the room (squished up to the ceiling & left no room for the furniture) it was lovely but not really right for the room (more tree than room)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now