Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask the vendor...?

(19 Posts)
EEvans Sat 22-Nov-14 19:06:10

Hi all,

This might seem a really stupid question but were moving house (not exchanged yet but thinking ahead) and as almost all of our white goods are fitted we will need to buy new ones for the new house.

We've had the info from the vendor to say they are taking all their white goods with them. So now I'm concerned about ordering white goods to be delivered to the new house as I don't know the measurements.

Can I ask the vendor (or ask the solicitor to ask) what the measurements are in the kitchen re: spaces for washing machines/ fridge/freezer etc?

Or do I have to wait till moving day and then go out and buy these items? I e never actually bought a fridge etc my self so can you just go pick one up?

Sorry to probably sound like an idiot! Thanks in advance for advice.

Asifbymagic Sat 22-Nov-14 19:10:02

either ask, or arrange another visit to measure up.

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Nov-14 19:10:36

Yes definitely, no problem asking.. You could offer to pay for the white goods as well if they're any use to you.

DontEvenPoint Sat 22-Nov-14 19:15:11

Personally I would wait until exchange at least until I bought anything! But no, I can't see any problem with asking for measurements. Most things are fairly standard though I think. You can just go and pick up white goods yes but you may not get exactly what you want as it will depend on what is in stock. I wouldn't have a problem measuring a few bits for a buyer, but I've learned from bitter experience that people can be massive arses when it comes to buying and selling houses....I'm sure your vendors are lovely though! grin

EEvans Sat 22-Nov-14 19:19:59

Thanks to both. I didn't know whether it would be appropriate to ask to go and visit. I think I will wait until we have exchanged contracts and then contact the estate agent. I'm just getting worried as it seems to be getting nearer to maybe going through! I'm worrying about all sorts of silly stuff!

Thanks again.
!

EEvans Sat 22-Nov-14 19:27:31

DontEvenPoint you are soooo right! Our last attempt to move fell through quite near the aim as the vendor was a money grabbing nightmare and was soooooo difficult! Just keeping my fingers crossed and double crossed this time! Absolutely won't be doing anything till exchange that's for sure! Just getting all the info through today and seeing they are taking everything with them got me thinking! Thanks for your thoughts!

WantToGoingTo Sat 22-Nov-14 22:22:47

Don't think any problem in asking for measurements, or asking if you can go and measure up yourself. We visited our house with several family members at different times on run up to our purchase. We also bought the oven from them and various others so it's worth asking if they are willing to part.

Re buying white goods, if you are buying them new normally you have to order and arrange delivery. If I remember correctly, ours took about 2-3 weeks to come (bought in 2012), so I would say order on exchange day as normally 2 weeks until completion, then you might have to do without for a max of a week.

NonnyMuss Sat 22-Nov-14 23:09:39

Appliances Online have freakishly fast delivery and service levels, I ordered a washing machine at 10pm Sunday evening and it was set up in my kitchen before 9am on the Monday so these things needn't take weeks to turn up

wonkylegs Sun 23-Nov-14 08:14:08

I would ask to go and measure myself (I don't trust other people to get exactly what I need) but I'd also recommend AO.com.
Our garage freezer broke down and we had a replacement delivered that was a good price within 24hours.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Nov-14 08:30:04

I agree that Appliances Online are fab and do next day delivery. We got our last washing machine from there.

specialsubject Sun 23-Nov-14 10:23:57

look around your local shops and suppliers.Once you have exchange, go measure up and place orders for delivery the day AFTER completion. Get a takeaway that night.

RudyMentary Sun 23-Nov-14 10:26:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenOfThorns Sun 23-Nov-14 10:26:53

It's perfectly normal to go back to measure up for curtains, appliances etc, no one will bat an eyelid. Definitely better to take your own measurements than trust someone else's, I'd say!

Finola1step Sun 23-Nov-14 10:27:50

Good advice from Special. Do not arrange delivery for moving in day, unless you are completing and then moving in on another day.

specialsubject Sun 23-Nov-14 12:53:01

why? because completions can be delayed, especially in a chain, and you may not get in at the time or even the day you think. Rare but does happen.

UnMasterChef Sun 23-Nov-14 15:38:34

Another AO fan, they were great when we moved house, ordered the washing machine the day we moved in, it was here the next day and they did a good job fitting it

PedantMarina Sun 23-Nov-14 16:08:09

No sin whatsoever in asking to have another look round/measure up. It's still their house, but if you're courteous about it and work to their schedule, they shouldn't have a problem.

A tip: make a note in advance of every measurement you want to take. Say, different pages in a wee notebook.

Meanwhile, you never know, the vendors might not really want to take all their appliances. I assume you meant they sent through the "contents and fixtures" form? In which they list that XX and YY aren't included in the sale. But they might sell you a few of the appliances for a good price. When you ring to ask them to have another look-round, ask them if they'd consider this.

EEvans Sun 23-Nov-14 18:34:32

Thanks everyone! I hadn't realised about the completion potentially not going through so really glad to find that out. And thanks for the online recommendation. I'll defo look at that!

I also feel a lot better about asking to go around again to measure. Good tip to make a list ready to add the measurements to!

Thanks all you've been stars! Moving is sooo stressful! There is so much to think of!

Annbag Sun 23-Nov-14 18:44:21

Do ask the vendor, it can be good for both parties to see each other are serious about the sale. I've recently moved in and met the vendor shortly after having the offer accepted. The estate agent was trying to get them to have other people look around but because they liked us they stuck with our offer. It was also good to have their contact details so both parties could hurry solicitors along etc. So there are other advantages than simply measuring up! I really think we might've never completed if we hadn't gone to introduce ourselves.

We used Boots electrical, next day delivery and fitting - think they are powered by AO, but you get boots points on your purchase

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now