Talk

Advanced search

Furniture rental options for rental property

(8 Posts)
cowbiscuits74 Fri 21-Nov-14 15:35:37

So we are moving back to the UK and seems there are more unfurnished rental properties than furnished and want to have the choice from as big a rental pool as possible. We might ship our furniture but it will take several weeks to arrive so either way if we rent unfurnished we will need to rent furniture for at least a few months or longer if we decided not to ship ours.

We won't want to buy furniture until we buy a house which will be at least 12 months in.

So I have been looking into renting furniture, have quotes from Instant Home and David Phillips Furniture Rental which seem reasonable.
Anyone used either of these or recommend another one?
Thanks

specialsubject Fri 21-Nov-14 17:03:46

why would you rent furniture when the charity shops, ikea and ebay are full of the stuff?

cowbiscuits74 Fri 21-Nov-14 17:13:53

well like I said we don't want to buy furniture right away - what if it does not fit/does not go in the house we end up buying? same reason we might not ship our furniture - most house sales here include the furniture anyway

not against the odd item here and there from any of the places you mentioned but looking to rock up with 2 kids in tow to a furnished house and not have to trawl around from shop to shop or sit/sleep on the floor

cestlavielife Fri 21-Nov-14 21:08:07

How much is "reasonable " ?
If it's for 12 months prob cheaper to buy eg ikea pay someone to deliver and build it all. At end of 12 months sell or donate to charity eg Britush heart foundation who collect

specialsubject Fri 21-Nov-14 21:31:39

fair enough. You could also consider a few nights in a hotel while you go shopping.

the website is coy about pricing without giving loads of detail. I'd also be curious as to what they charge for a house full.

Teeb Fri 21-Nov-14 21:36:48

I'd be very wary about returning the furniture in absolute mint condition that you receive it in. Will you feel comfortable using furniture that you will need to return? If something was scratched or chipped I wonder if they'd try to sting you for the ticket price or claim hefty deposits.

cestlavielife Fri 21-Nov-14 22:20:03

Or buy a furniture pack
www.landlord-furniture.com/categories/packages

www.loft-interiors.co.uk/furniture-packages?gclid=CjwKEAiA4rujBRDD7IG_wOPytXkSJACTMkgaHeOLA6vtb-8mgp6t0O-_eflg_nAlx83k13j7SEiR1RoCCpvw_wcB

cowbiscuits74 Mon 24-Nov-14 13:51:40

good point Teeb on returning, had not thought of that

there's no IKEA where I live so did not even think about that, had a quick look online, did not realize they deliver and assemble if pay extra which make a huge difference as didn't want to have to rent a van and spend a week screwing things together - can you imagine assembling a whole houseful of furniture in one go?

Will look into that for essentials we need right away and then ebay and second hand shops for the rest

thanks all, it is good to know we can now look at unfurnished as well as furnished rentals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now