Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Someone please talk to me about underfloor heating

(5 Posts)
Theorientcalf Fri 21-Nov-14 11:57:24

We are extending our house (single storey) to make a large breakfast kitchen and dining area. We would ideally like underfloor heating dependent on costs.

The builder told me that putting it in the extension is not a problem but putting it in the existing kitchen area would cost a lot more as it involves digging up the floor (floorboards currently in existing dining room). He suggested having wet underfloor heating in the new build and electric in the existing area as it's easier and costs less to do.

I've heard that electric underfloor heating is very expensive so not a good idea. He tells me it depends.

Obviously the other option is radiators, but underfloor heating would be much nicer. It will be quite a big area. Is having two systems silly? Is it better to have the wet system in the new bit and a radiator in the old bit? Help! I have no idea clearly!

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 21-Nov-14 12:06:25

We have underfloor heating in all the areas of the house that we had to re floor anyway (due to rot, or extending), but radiators elsewhere.

It the water pipe in concrete kind, and is fabulous. We were told the electric variety was unreliable and expensive - we just went with "normal" radiators, and they are ok but I'd recommend you spend a bit more and buy fancy ones - shiny chrome and tall and narrow to take up less room/look better. I wish we'd done that and when they need replacing, we will do.

Chardonnay73 Fri 21-Nov-14 12:09:39

We have the wet system in a big extension and its fantastic. It was put in as it was built, took 1 day, was more expensive than electric but is cheaper than standard radiators to run. I love it! I would definitely say go for the wet if you can.

Pinkje Fri 21-Nov-14 12:15:00

Are you updating the boiler?

The wet UFH in the new floor area can run off the same boiler as radiators in the 'old' area. As pp said, radiators can be quite stylish and I'd certainly go for a new radiator off the boiler rather than electric UFH

Don't underestimate the value of having a radiator to hang your tea towels on.

Theorientcalf Fri 21-Nov-14 13:17:45

Yes we're updating the boiler. The whole house needs renovating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now