Talk

Advanced search

Cowboy plasterer? Dot and dab showing through

(7 Posts)
WantToGoingTo Thu 20-Nov-14 20:33:59

So it seems we employed a cowboy, judging by the amount of problems we have encountered since having our conservatory plastered.

1. Edges not neat, plaster on windowsills - we had to even up edges of walls with a chisel would you believe
2. Plaster wonky compared to windowsills (not sure if this window sill fitter or plasterer though)
3. Paint would not stick to the plaster when doing a mist coat (though this seems to be the type of paint we chose rather than just the plaster, but I do think he polished it too much)
4. Rust showing through on corner of wall, plasterer made decision to seal rust and plaster over, instead of replacing metal rod which was initial plan

And now, after mist coat, large dinner plate circles all over the wall, presumably from the dot and dab. Have since done a single colour coat, and circles are visible now it has started to dry. It is not fully dry yet.

What are chances that the circles just need longer to dry and will disappear after the final second coat of emulsion is dry? Or is there a bigger problem?

The plasterer has not been at all helpful when we have asked him for solutions to some of our problems we have encountered. With the rust, his response was whether we had sanded off the sealant he put on! To most of our questions his immediate response has been that it must be our fault, so I am reluctant to go back to him if there is an actual problem.

Any one with experience of this?

Thanks!

PigletJohn Thu 20-Nov-14 21:28:26

as for the blobs, I suspect that this is damp showing. Is it an external wall, which at this time of year will be cold?

Do you get mist showing on the windows in the morning?

If it is damp, open the windows whenever you can and get a good through-draught.

WantToGoingTo Thu 20-Nov-14 21:30:00

Hi piglet - one wall is external, one is internal. We get condensation on windows, but not on conservatory windows, in other rooms.

Thanks, will try opening windows and maybe turning heating up?

PigletJohn Thu 20-Nov-14 21:34:52

fresh air is better at getting rid of moisture. Heat just turns it into warm moisture.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 20-Nov-14 21:37:33

How longs it been since finished?

My conservatory (built in January) plaster took more than a month to dry before painting

WantToGoingTo Thu 20-Nov-14 21:39:36

Thanks!

Fragglewump Thu 20-Nov-14 21:42:20

The dabs you can see will go - they are just damp patches - I wouldn't put the final paint on yet - leave it another week if poss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now