Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a house for my friend!

(5 Posts)
RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Thu 20-Nov-14 17:34:55

Off the back of my other thread where I asked for views on Tettenhall on the outskirts of Wolverhampton, I am going one step further and looking for suggestions on other areas where my friend and her DH could buy......

To recap, they are -

In their late 40s
Are originally from the South of England, but have few ties there although their DS has just announced he's moving to Brighton, but as long as they are within a out four hours drive that would be fine
Self-employed, working from home

They currently have a large four bed detached house with huge garden in a very rural part of Dorset and want to move as my friend doesn't drive and is finding it mind-numbingly boring as there is absolutely nothing happening/nowhere to go locally! They are not sporty although they love walking their two very bouncy Labradoodles! They like culture - theatres, galleries, eating out in gastro pubs etc - but don't need this on the doorstep necessarily.

They want -

A period, characterful house
Three beds minimum
Good size house (would prefer around 2000 sq ft minimum)
Large garden (for the dogs)
Off-road parking
Amenities including coffee shops/cafés, deli and small supermarket etc within walking distance
Access to countryside
Nothing rural

Budget around £325k as they want to free up cash from the sale of their current house (going through) and not have a mortgage as they've been without one for a few years.

They are happy to move anywhere up to and including the Midlands. They love market towns such as Marlborough and Farnham, but cannot afford what they require in those locations. They are however happy to take on a large project as they'll have cash set aside and have done this before. I've told her they'll have to compromise somewhere, but I'm sure what they want does exist out there......

Would love to hear your suggestions please!

TIA xxx

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Thu 20-Nov-14 17:35:47

about four hours drive!

WhatKatyDidnt Thu 20-Nov-14 17:40:36

Salisbury might work.

Theorientcalf Thu 20-Nov-14 17:42:27

Herefordshire? Beautiful. Ledbury maybe, or go over the border to Monmouth which is lovely, or Abergavenny. Monmouth has gone up market, some very good shops but still good access to the countryside. Malvern?

Nottingham? Try Breaston or Ruddington.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Thu 20-Nov-14 17:53:11

WhatKatyDidnt - Yes, I wondered about Salisbury - very nice newly re-furbed Waitrose there too - although most of the pretty period houses within striking distance of the shops/cafés are very small/terraced and my friend's dogs are of the extremely bouncy/noisy variety which wouldn't go down too well with close neighbours!

Theorientcalf - I did see a lovely house in Leominster (that I quite fancied for myself!) but it had no parking and a teensy courtyard garden too unfortunately and that would be a no-no. Ooooh, I'd forgotten about Malvern, we've visited there and it's very nice. Will take a look across the Welsh border at Monmouth etc.....

Thanks xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now