Advanced search

in deep trouble but builder never told me

(8 Posts)
mutternutter Thu 20-Nov-14 14:40:07

I'm in trouble with council after knocking down a supporting wall and putting in an RSJ
The builder never said I need building regs or planning. Don't know what to do and on a very tight budget
Can anyone advise? Should I carry on with the renovation? Or wait for council. I don't intend to knock down anymore walls....

ShatnersBassoon Thu 20-Nov-14 14:42:01

You're not necessarily in deep trouble. Wait for the council to come and have a look, don't carry on until you know you've got the go-ahead.

Notbythehaironmychinnychinchin Thu 20-Nov-14 14:43:58

Building regs approval can be done retrospectively (not the most sensible way of doing things). SO long as the work your builder done meets with the authority's requirements then you will be ok.

From memory, when we had our extension done we had to pay around �400 for the building regs stuff.

Notbythehaironmychinnychinchin Thu 20-Nov-14 14:48:00

Oh, actually, I can pretty much remember the converstaion I had with our planning authority before starting the extension:

Me: can I have an appointment to disucss the plans for the work?
Them: no we don't do them any more due to budget cuts. Just tell us when work will be starting and we will come out and inspect the site.
Me: right, I don't need planning permission so when can I start the work?
Them: you could start it today if you wanted. We will come and check the foundations are deep enough then we'll come out during the build, then at the end beofre issuing the documentation.

It was ridiculously simple so DON'T PANIC! Just get in touch with your planning dept as soon as you can.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 20-Nov-14 14:53:32

Who calculated the size of RSJ that was used? Did you use a structural engineer or did the builder decide?

If the council are OK about the wall being taken out I would imagine they would want to know that the RSJ is adequate.

mrsfarquhar Thu 20-Nov-14 14:59:26

We got retrospective building regs, no biggie at all. As long as its been done ok. And as I remember it was really quick, not like planning, just faxed off a form, they came and looked, told me one small change needed and once that was done they came again and it was signed off. We were selling a house and it didn't hold things up at all.

Did a structural engineer get involved with the calculations ?

Good luck.

mutternutter Thu 20-Nov-14 15:12:36

I feel so foolish. Builder wanted to measure for RSJ but me being me insisted I do it so I did. Feel a lot better now have read replies. Having a tough time at mo and I seem to be making more trouble for myself
Thanks so much for replies and advice

PigletJohn Thu 20-Nov-14 15:14:47

IME builders usually fit oversized steelwork because they find it easier than calculating.

If (big if) you have used a competent and experienced local builder, he will have used the same piers and steel as all the other builders do on houses like yours, so get on to BCO straight away and tell them what happened.

If you can use a ruler you can probably do your own dimensioned drawings.

Look on the the council website for other approved plans on similar houses for an example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now