Talk

Advanced search

Is there anywhere in Zone 1 you wouldn't live?

(115 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 16:12:20

I'm eyeing up the regeneration zone round the Elephant and Castle which looks as if it's on the up. I'm guessing it's the least nice grin

What about other not-so-nice areas in Zone 1?

bigTillyMint Tue 18-Nov-14 16:16:57

Yes, it's not currently the nicest place, although there is some nice housing behind the main roads towards the Imperial War Museum. However, it is being regenerated and will probably be a totally different place in 10 years time. It is very handy for both the city and West End.

Are you thinking of moving into Zone 1?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 16:24:55

Yes in 18 months - counting the days grin

I'm hoping prices in that area don't rise out of reach in that time - it's possible it will. I'm also looking around Kings Cross up Caledonian Road - also not a naice area.

bigTillyMint Tue 18-Nov-14 16:42:27

Exciting! I have friends who live on Drury Lane - they bought about 15 years ago when the prices were MUCH lower! Do you already live in London?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 16:45:46

No, in the Home Counties - never lived in London but dd moves out (to uni in London so Dh and I are moving it to party like its 1999) grin

How fab to live on Drury Lane.

bigTillyMint Tue 18-Nov-14 16:49:28

Well that'll be a sea-changegrin

They have enjoyed it, but I think there are downsides - no local community whatsoever for one. Even the bar staff in the local pubs change frequently. I think that might be less of a problem in a more residential area.

minipie Tue 18-Nov-14 17:14:48

In all honesty I wouldn't want to live in lots of places in Zone 1 - not because they are not naice, but because they are too urban and office/tourist dominated for me. (I like a nice leafy residential Zone 2 areagrin)

Exceptions which do have a strong residential community would be Fitzrovia/Bloomsbury, Marylebone, Bermondsey High St, Clerkenwell, Angel, Notting Hill/Bayswater, and Kensington/Chelsea. None of these are exactly cheap though!

I wouldn't choose Elephant and Castle personally... I'd rather take the same budget and live further out somewhere with a nice local scene and a tube connection to the centre. But up to you of course!

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 17:18:27

Definitely want to be in Zone 1 and the bloody tubes stop running too early - I know they're going all night next year on Fridays and Saturdays. I love walking back home after a night out.

My favourite is Bloomsbury (can't afford a garage grin) and I'm not too fussed about 'community' though I will join 'things'.

NickiFury Tue 18-Nov-14 17:19:17

I'd live in Chiswick near the river or Fulham, again near the river and the New Kings Road. I think it would be too much to live right in zone 1. It tends to be quieter and have more of a community feel along the riverside yet still very central for getting into town.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 17:23:27

So that's all of Zone 1 you wouldn't live in Nikki grin

Is there any bits in particular you'd avoid as per the question ? wink

NickiFury Tue 18-Nov-14 19:17:42

Elephant and Castle wink

angeltulips Tue 18-Nov-14 19:23:21

I personally find pimlico incredibly grotty and am mystified as to why it's so expensive

Parts of Chelsea - too close to football stadium and/or too much plane noise

Anywhere in the City - super dull at weekends

Anywhere with a big residential construction development nearby - noisy and disruptive for years on end

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 19:25:52

Minories, London, EC3N
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47000734.html

This is my current favourite - in the city (happy for super dull ie. quiet at weekends)

Whenwillwe3meetagain Tue 18-Nov-14 19:27:22

Tube will be running 24 hrs soon cant remember which lines though.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 19:29:52

Jubilee, Piccadilly, Northern, Central, Victoria lines - Friday's and Saturdays

Whenwillwe3meetagain Tue 18-Nov-14 19:30:03

Sorry didn't see that you know re the tubes. I live in zone 2 and did a masters course in E&C so was there in the evenings for 2 years. I would rush back home I really didn't like it round there and didn't feel safe.
But my bro lived there for a year and was happy but he cycled everywhere.

bloodyteenagers Tue 18-Nov-14 19:30:51

The City is really nice at weekends. Still lots to do, and with the bonus of not having loads of people.

vulgarwretch Tue 18-Nov-14 19:38:01

I think the weekday after work drinking crowd would put me off the city.

I would consider Elephant & Castle though. The area around the roundabout and shopping centre is grim but there are some nice residential areas between there and Kennington/Blackfriars. I think I'd live there in preference to Kings Cross.

PossumPoo Tue 18-Nov-14 20:24:33

Do you live in a house now? Do you have outside space? We lived in a 2 bed flat in zone 2 and loved the hype and constant going on. But, OMG the lack of out door space in summer actually depressed me.

This is the first house DH and I have lived in, I've always preferred flats but always had a balcony. Saying there are lots of parks etc is not the same! If you come home from work and want to sit and enjoy a drink in the sun while dinner is cooking etc.

We are in zone 3 so a lot more suburban but the outside space is priceless in my opinion.

Good luck with the flat hunting, it's so exciting having a change can you tell I'm ready for a big bloody change too

Londonbased87 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:26:06

I live in Camberwell and it's fab around e&c but still a bit dodgy. For similar ish money try wrong side of kennington, around the oval, or vauxhall - we used to walk home to all these places but camberwell a bit far (and so is probably E&C!) Personally I also wouldn't live in whitechapel but horses...

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 20:41:04

Yep, got 3 bed/3 reception/2 huge sheds and a garage plus massive garden and allotment - massive change coming up grin

I'm hoping it's not too far from the south bank to the E and C - I'm not a fast walker but I think it's less than 30 minutes confused

Apatite1 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:38:13

What's the budget?

Westminster is the place to be for close to south bank, plus dead on weekends.

I live in Fulham so way too far out of town for you grin

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Tue 18-Nov-14 21:50:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Nov-14 22:07:36

There's no lease info on Rightmove about that place on the Minories, usually it says.

Would love westminster but only got 350-400 ish and would like a 1 bed without it being a tower block or ex local authority

Blu Tue 18-Nov-14 22:14:49

If I could live in Zone 1 I would live in the Barbican, in one of the towers. Beautiful flats, balconies.

Or possibly in one of the old streets between Waterloo and the river - around Roupell St.

Or round the Bermondsey St area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now