Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen extraction

(13 Posts)
neepsandtatties Tue 18-Nov-14 13:39:45

Having new kitchen. Stove is going on a wall without cupboards (so no option for under-canopy extraction). I have a pathological hatred of chimney extractors (visually) so thinking of a ceiling extractor. Ceiling is 1.4 metres above the stove top. Ducting would be then 1.3 metres sideways to vent to the outside wall. Kitchen is 13 ft by 9 ft.

I started off looking at £1000+ for a large blingy 'conventional' ceiling extractor, but then came across simple fans, such as this onewww.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/vortice-mf150-6-11125.html which cost peanuts and would be pretty much invisible.

The extraction rate (93 litres/sec or 335 m3/h) seems to be sufficient to meet building regs. It claims to be very quiet although I'm personally not bothered about noise, and I'm happy to have a one-speed on-off switch.

What's not to like? Am I missing something?

neepsandtatties Wed 19-Nov-14 11:37:43

Hmm. Think DH might have identified the issue. Grease.

Any thoughts?

RaisingSteam Wed 19-Nov-14 12:47:38

if it's only 1.3m to the sidewall could you just put a wall mounted fan on that wall> If you can get a crossflow going it should collect the worst of the grease. - is there a window or door the other side of the room?

look for one where you can defintely take the front grille and fan blades off every so often to clean them. It's the sort of thing you might need to do 3 or 4 times a year. If it's on the outside wall then you have no duct to fill up with grease.

How about something like this?

PigletJohn Wed 19-Nov-14 13:31:54

Chimneys aside, do you mean you don't want any kind of hood?

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 19-Nov-14 14:07:25

If it ticks all the boxes then I agree - what's not to love ! Just make sure you can safely get up to it to give it a wipe periodically !!

neepsandtatties Wed 19-Nov-14 15:58:24

RaisingSteam. Yes, I could have a fan on the exterior wall - so no need for ducting, but wouldn't that be worse in terms of dealing with grease? At least installed in the ceiling it would be directly above the stove top. Thank you for the link - I hadn't come across that type of system before. So if I understand the diagram correctly, the grease filter would be mounted in the ceiling (or internal wall), and the fan itself would be accessed from the outside wall of the house.

PigletJohn I will have no wall cupboards on that side of the kitchen, so as far as I can tell, the only hoods available to me are a wall-mounted chimney hood (which will stand out like a sore thumb on an otherwise empty wall) or a ceiling extractor. I prefer the idea of a ceiling extractor, as it will be invisible, but am now worried about grease (although I admit I don't know enough about extraction/heat/grease dynamics to know if I am worrying about nothing)

OnePlann happy to climb on the worktop and wipe the fan occasionally!

PigletJohn Wed 19-Nov-14 16:09:55

yes, the grease will drift and settle all round the kitchen if you do not have some kind of hood or canopy above the hob.

neepsandtatties Wed 19-Nov-14 16:25:23

Thanks PigletJohn. So I would have to buy a ceiling mounted extractor like this in order to deal with grease? www.cda-homeappliances.co.uk/CDA-EVX140SS (or are you saying this wouldn't actually deal with grease either, since this would be 1.4 metres above the stove, just like my cheapy option)

Back to the drawing board...

Marmitelover55 Wed 19-Nov-14 16:40:30

We don't have wall cupboards but have cooker hood type of extractor - think it looks ok...?

RaisingSteam Wed 19-Nov-14 16:40:44

I think you have it right. I liked the look of that system but our joists run the wrong way.

In my experience from normal domestic cooking, the surfaces (cupboards, shelves etc) nearest the cooker tend to get greasy and need cleaning periodically, if you have an extractor canopy this is practically the same but the extractor also needs cleaning. We currently just have a ceiling extract vent above our cooker and we do not have grease all over our kitchen, 2 years on. But standards of housekeeping vary a lot on MN and I'm sure someone will come on and say they have to scrub their kitchen top to bottom every day because they don't have a cooker hood...

PigletJohn Wed 19-Nov-14 17:13:32

a canopy above the hob will catch most of the fumes. The higher it is the larger it should preferably be, because there may be sideways drift, but the fumes will be hot so will rise towards the canopy or hood.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Nov-14 17:19:33

the CDA shown is very powerful (and very expensive) and wider than your hob, so it looks very suitable.

As it has three speeds you can probably let it trickle along quietly when you boil an egg, and whiz it up to max when you are frying sausage and onion.

I think it will help to have a glass or tiled splashback behind the hob so it is easy to clean off fat splatter.

neepsandtatties Thu 20-Nov-14 11:54:52

Thanks all. Will ponder further!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now