Talk

Advanced search

Small kitchen - white or pale grey units?

(16 Posts)
fussychica Tue 18-Nov-14 09:28:35

Have to decide between matte white and pale grey. I like the grey better but worry about it dating WWYD?

littlemonkeyface Tue 18-Nov-14 11:06:38

I too would prefer the grey but go with the white to be on the safe side. Taste can just change so fast, but I think white will always be okay although a bit boring.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 18-Nov-14 11:07:09

White units and paint the walls grey - then when this fashion changes - paint the walls in the next popular colour ( copper - so I'm told !) it's much easier to keep up to date this way !! smile

fussychica Tue 18-Nov-14 13:34:23

Thanks for your replies. I suppose I'm worried the matte white will look cheap even though it's not. It's handleless so that will probably be out of fashion soon, if it isn't alreadygrin. We are going for that to try and make it look as large as possible. I'd actually love a rather more traditional look but shaker/frame kitchens just don't work. It's costing £££s and I still can't have my dream kitchensad.

Marmitelover55 Tue 18-Nov-14 16:26:53

Why doesn't shaker work? We have quite a small kitchen and have cream shaker units and ivory fantasy granite (which is light) and Dulux timeless on the walls. Think it makes the space look bigger. We don't have any wall cupboards though, so that helps with feeling of space (though not with storage!).

Betty1980 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:04:18

Where have you found matte white handleless? All the ones I have seen have been gloss...

321zerobaby Tue 18-Nov-14 19:09:18

My kitchen is medium sized, I've got grey units on the bottom, white on the top (modern gloss). the worktops are white with grey and sparkly bits in. I love it, and its gets lots of compliments.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 18-Nov-14 19:13:01

We've got a small kitchen too. Grey on the bottom, white on the top. Grey walls, white Quartz worktop. Looks lovely!

CreamSubstitute Tue 18-Nov-14 19:50:40

Ikea Nodsta is matt white handleless.

isles7 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:53:30

I have exactly the same dilema. Think I'm going to go for white - although I love grey! - for my new tiny kitchen and then paint the walls whatever colour. I think!

Betty1980 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:54:48

Doesn't the nodsta have a metal strip though? and do they still do that one?

CreamSubstitute Wed 19-Nov-14 06:43:44

The one with a metal bit sticking out is another one. Nodsta has an aluminum bit at the top. It doesn't stand out though.

fussychica Wed 19-Nov-14 10:32:21

It's from a local kitchen studio - made to measure, no handle at all just a specially designed recess - bit different. I would have been happy with Ikea but the sizes are useless for our spacesad

It's the corners that are a real nightmare - designers walk in and walk away! Like the two colour idea. Can't do no wall cupboards or I'd have no storage. Going for Ice on the worktop - a sort of white/grey marble effect.

Thanks for the input and ideas - I'll keep you posted on which way I go.

mandy214 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:15:53

We have matt white handleless (just installed) and I think it looks very nice. I have very very pale beigey grey on the walls. I definitely think white will stand the test of time better than grey but I think all kitchens have a shelf life to be honest, so go with what you prefer, you have to live with it at the end of the day. We don't have wall units (one wall of floor to ceiling cupboards) and just an upstand (no tiles) and I think it really works.

ClaudiaNaughton Thu 20-Nov-14 16:30:22

Another for white units and paint the wall grey. Avoid wall tiles and have an upstand.

fussychica Thu 20-Nov-14 17:15:20

OK the deed is done - grey at the bottom and the tall cupboard (as we have a white washing machine which isn't integrated so they'll be no mismatch of whites next to each other) with white for wall cupboards. Fiddled around with doors and worktops in the showroom until I was happy - it helped that they'd just installed a white with grey (wall cabinets) kitchen albeit a much darker grey.

Hope I've done the right thing! Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now