Painting UPVC Windows, anyone tried it?

(33 Posts)
Greencheese Mon 17-Nov-14 20:55:19

Hi, just watching that Sarah Beany programme where someone painted their UPVC windows. I didn't know you could do this. It looked quite good (from afar). I don't know if I'd be brave enough though.

Has anyone tried it?

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 17-Nov-14 20:57:28

Watching with interest...

Greencheese Tue 18-Nov-14 21:19:20

Just us then mis ha ha.

Applefallingfromthetree2 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:22:50

I thought that the whole point of UPVC was that you didn't need to paint them!

Another disaster then where homeowners have been given the hard sell and estate agents have promoted these windows as a benefit.

SoMuchForSubtlety Tue 18-Nov-14 21:32:48

I haven't tried yet but I've been researching a lot because I'm planning to do it. You can get primer designed for plastic (you need to lightly sand the window first with a fine grade paper) and then just use normal outdoor paint over the primer.

BumWad Tue 18-Nov-14 21:33:55

Yes I saw this too! I would love to paint ours but didn't know it was possible.

Greencheese Tue 18-Nov-14 21:54:17

I did a quick google and saw some bloke on another forum somewhere say he was going to get a cheap second hand window from ebay for a practice. No matter how much I practiced I doubt my DH would let me near our windows ha.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 20-Nov-14 13:24:03

For me its our PVC conservatory i'd love to tackle. Its a lovely space that I really enjoy sitting in. The previous owners installed it but never quite finished it. We've wired and plastered the brick, replaced the window through to the house with a double glazed glass panel thats flush to the wall and put up blinds. Its now quite cozy.

I've moved from a whole string of lovely period houses with pretty gardens, where I've had beautiful hand made wooden double glazed windows fitted, to a modern box with small garden front and back. I've done what I can with the small space to the front lots of box, herbs and roses and again to the back garden but the mass of UPVC just looks cheap and a bit temporary to my eye. I've got various painted wood bits of furniture in the garden and I love the slightly more organic nature of painted look over PVC. This house is less than half the value of previous ones and with the work we've done on it is already at the upper end of the street cap so its not worth investing any real sums in it yet because we moved to very near family and very few of the houses in the area would work for us as a family we're unlikely to move for quite some time so want to make the best of the house without over investing.

bottersnikes Thu 20-Nov-14 16:25:19

I liked this idea, too! It seems from a quick google that plenty of people have had it done, but none of them have seen this thread yet smile

Presumably spraying UPVC windows grey would be cheaper than, say, getting new powder-coated aluminium ones.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 20-Nov-14 17:38:52

My concern isn't the painting its the weathering. Think painted guttering with peeling paint as an example.

I think that the paint would need a key, lightly sanding to rough up the smooth plastic i guess would work. Then probably a primer coat to give it some thickness then the colour as one or two layers.

PausingFlatly Thu 20-Nov-14 17:42:13

I painted ours indoors a few years ago - sanded and primed, of course. So far it's still looking excellent. Don't know how well it would weather outdoors - my neighbours guttering is peeling. But then the guttering may expand and contract more.

PigletJohn Thu 20-Nov-14 21:15:02

I haven't done windows, but have had good results on plastic waste pipes and meter boxes.

I use non-drip gloss, a good flowing coat, with no primer or undercoat. I must have originally picked up the recommendation somewhere. Clean and degrease the surface first with white spirit and a green pan-scouring pad, and rub off with a cotton rag before painting.

The ones I did 20 years ago have gone a bit dull outside and might benefit from another coat.

cafesociety Fri 21-Nov-14 14:40:16

I've also painted uPVC guttering and waste pipes by wiping them down with spirit and using a gloss paint [no primer]. Its all fine, no peeling at all.

I'd love to paint my uPVC windows but haven't the time at the mo, and would do a lot of research beforehand....probably doing the windows at the back first!

PausingFlatly Fri 21-Nov-14 14:47:45

My neighbours' pipes, on the other hand, are peeling something hideous.

I've no idea what their paint or prep was.

PausingFlatly Fri 21-Nov-14 14:48:07

Meh, repeating myself. Sorry.

Gatekeeper Fri 21-Nov-14 14:52:49

I would love to paint my front door so will look into this; apparently Sandtex do a upvc primer and you can then use their gloss or satin paint over the top . They do a lovely colour paint by them called bay tree which I fancy hotly

BOFster Fri 21-Nov-14 15:05:27

Wow, that looks SO much nicer.

Greencheese Fri 21-Nov-14 15:27:22

Ooooo I love that green! That's exactly what I'd have too! Love it!

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 21-Nov-14 16:58:36

Its good to hear that people have had success with gloss. I'm wondering whether to do a little patch test in the back corner of the conservatory and leave it for the winter to see how it goes. I've got white gloss in, so i could white gloss the patch so it doesn't look to different, or cost a small fortune, but i could test the adhesion etc.

I love that green. My garden wood is mainly in a sort of duck egg blue/ green its a cuprinol stain i think its called sea grass so i think i'd need to look at something similar/ or restain the garden stuff.

puffylovett Tue 02-Dec-14 17:25:58

Ooh, I'm just bumping this thread up as I would dearly love to do this and also love that sandtex green! Has anyone dared yet?

NewEraNewMindset Tue 02-Dec-14 17:29:33

My DP wants to paint ours in that Sandtex green and I have said no as I think we could end up with an expensive nightmare on our hands if it peels.

Greencheese Tue 02-Dec-14 20:04:29

My back PVC windows are manky, I may attempt it next summer, I can't make them any worse ha.

Loopylou520 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:08:32

Hi, did you try this? I've just found out about sandtex pvc-u primer/10yr satin to paint pvc doors and, like you, think they look good on Pintrest pics. I'm just note sure on the finish? How it would look close up? And how would weather?

movingonup2015 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:13:29

sorry all I know this hasn't been posted on for a while but I thought I'd offer my experience with this.

I have very successfully painted my awful dark brown PVC windows to a lovely bright white and they do not look like they have been painted!

All you need to do is sand lightly (don't go nuts or you will put deep scratches in the pvc!) just enough to take the "slipperiness" of the pvc off.

Then put several coats of Zinsser bin 123 primer on top - it dries really really quick so you can get several coats of primer done in one day.

For best results wait about 5 days for the primer to "cure" - this is how I go the best results with mine but only because it was winter at the time and only had time to paint in the evening and because the weather was rubbish I ended up having to wait longer between coats because the windows needed to be open..

anyway once your primer is done you can put pretty much any waterproof top coat on. I went with the cheapest exterior satinwood I could find and they have turned out lovely. They have had blazing sun and driving rain on them and still look just as good. Just thought this might help!

FourFlapjacksPlease Fri 26-Jun-15 23:12:03

thanks for posting movingonup! I have just bought a house with brown upvc windows which I hate and have been pondering doing this!

Deffo going to do it now! The windows are fairly new and good quality but have been seriously considering changing them as I find them so ugly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now