Talk

Advanced search

Speaking to neighbours before buying

(7 Posts)
Mulledwineandmincepies Mon 17-Nov-14 20:39:20

Just wondering if anyone has done this to get a feel for the area and any potential issues? If so did how did you approach it?

fuckwitteryhasform Mon 17-Nov-14 20:45:09

I haven't but had potential buyers of next door do it to me. They were c nice apologetic for interrupting me, asked if I could answer a couple of questions if I had 5 minutes which I did happily.
They asked what I thought of the street and other neighbours etc and were generally lovely. They did catch me at a good time though!

nottheparrot Mon 17-Nov-14 21:12:58

We have always spoken to neighbours before putting offers in - doesn't have to be the ones right next door. You want to get a 'feel' of the street/area. I usually begin by asking about traffic and move on to schools, parking, noise etc. Have never been rebuffed - on the contrary, I usually can't get away! Have always found the information really useful.

cafesociety Tue 18-Nov-14 21:41:11

I spoke to my neighbour who was in her driveway when I popped round to check something out before I signed on the line for the property next door to her.

She was ok then, and very happy to have another single woman next door. However she has since turned out to be a real fusspot, very awkward, judgmental, a moaner and nosey. The house is lovely though....

iggymama Tue 18-Nov-14 22:35:53

I spoke to the neighbors when viewing my house. We chatted over the fence and he warned me that he loves to play Metallica really loud. Oh how we all laughed.

He wasn't joking.

echt Wed 19-Nov-14 06:10:41

I checked out the house we eventually bought with one of the NDNs, basically because we wanted to know why it had been on the market for so long. They said they couldn't imagine, and had it been up for sale when they were reccying the neighbourhood, they'd have snapped it up.

They are nice people, the best neighbours.

Lovetheleaves Wed 19-Nov-14 06:23:45

We didn't meet our neighbours when we bought our house but we were so lucky as our neighbours are lovely people. Especially each set either side and 1 set straight across. Only main issue is parking but we get over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now