Talk

Advanced search

Extractor fans for very long showers in very small bathrooms

(10 Posts)
thesaurusgirl Mon 17-Nov-14 19:29:49

Appealing to the encyclopaedic Mumsnet hivemind headed by Piglet John and others. (I promise I did a search before posting).

Imagine you have:

magnificent water pressure (from a 32mm mains pipe via a Megaflo);

a 5"rainwater shower head;

a bathroom measuring 12sqm;

numerous visiting teens who love very hot and very long showers involving copious amounts of hair washing, conditioning, exfoliating and shaving.

What kind of bathroom extractor do you need? Make, model, specifications etc. In short, FTLOG, please just tell me what to buy before I have a breakdown. flowers

Musicaltheatremum Mon 17-Nov-14 20:07:22

Is there a window? If so opening it after the shower will help. (Or during it may shorten the shower) I am amazed how long teens can stay in the shower. Mine (21 and19) have shortened their time considerably since leaving home.

PigletJohn Mon 17-Nov-14 20:12:59

an inline ducted extractor, of about 240 cu.m/hr capacity, fitted above the ceiling and with the shortest possible duct, and the inlet grille at the highest point in the ceiling, but preferably above the shower cube if ceiling is flat, which turns on automatically with the light switch, and runs on for 20minutes after the light goes off. If the bathroom is sunny enough that people might not turn on the light, switch it with a PIR that detects someone coming into the bathroom.

for example the vent-axias have good reviews. You may find Manrose at a lower price but check its capacity. There are also less powerful inline fans.

As you will see from the specification, they are usually quite a lot quieter than cheaper wall fans, so people have less right to complain about noise. Running cost is negligible.

You will need an electrician to install it. Mention that you would like rigid duct, and to have the fan mounted on a ply board, padded on both sides with rubber or synthetic carpet (which does not rot) that you might get as an offcut or sample from a carpet fitter or shop, it will reduce noise even more.

If you have no access above the ceiling, you may have to box it in, or hide it in an airing cupboard, as it is relatively large and unsightly.

mipmop Mon 17-Nov-14 20:30:50

I have an inline fan in a shower room and it is as good as Piglet says.

ChoclolateOrange Mon 17-Nov-14 20:39:48

Wow, helpful thread for me too. Thanks for starting it OP. [smile.]

I've inherited fan in my new house that only runs on for seconds after the light goes off. I now know you can get them that run on for 20 mins. Thanks!

PigletJohn Mon 17-Nov-14 20:44:59

it will have a timer adjustment screw, but you have to turn off power and remove it from the wall. Look up the manufacturer's instructions online.

Mini05 Mon 17-Nov-14 20:51:54

We have shower fan with light with extractor going into loft, with a venting tube like you have with a tumble dryer. This is then vented through the roof tile.
If you don't vent it through roof your loft insulation will become damp/rot eventually

specialsubject Tue 18-Nov-14 11:45:04

cheapest solution; tell entitled brats not to waste water and energy. Get a clockwork shower timer and set to five minutes. or put a timer cut-out on the shower supply

water goes off while shaving legs and waiting for conditioner.

thesaurusgirl Tue 18-Nov-14 16:57:22

Big, big, enormous grateful thanks to you all. I have just printed out the post by Piglet John and handed it straight to my mother's builder. (Yes, all this aggravation for a house that isn't even my own).

Piglet John Please set up a donate button with Paypal. You'd make a fortune and make me feel much less guilty for always begging your advice.

Specialsubject The "teenage" grandchildren aren't actually even in double figures yet, but they will be soon, and Mum is futureproofing for houseguests from hell!

ChoclolateOrange Wed 19-Nov-14 12:53:45

Thanks Piglet John smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now