Talk

Advanced search

How do I clean painted brickwork?

(8 Posts)
MILdesperandum Sat 15-Nov-14 17:22:03

Previous owners painted our house exterior (mixture of bricks, render and what looks like stone cladding) and on the north side we're getting green algae like growth. What should we be using to clean it off?

Thumbwitch Sat 15-Nov-14 17:25:00

You could try that stuff they use on paving to remove green slime, I suppose oc.hg.eu/products/show/id/662

Or a high pressure hose, have you tried that already?

MILdesperandum Sat 15-Nov-14 17:30:02

Nope tried nothing yet, I walk past it and think "must do something about that" and then go inside and forget lazy grin

Thumbwitch Sat 15-Nov-14 18:07:36

I know that feeling! grin

PigletJohn Sat 15-Nov-14 18:15:14

green is due to damp. Do the gutters or downpipes leak or spill?

A powerwasher will get it off. It will also take out perished or loose pointing, which needs repair anyway.

Usually if a wall is painted, it is to cheaply disguise something wrong with it. Once painted, you will have to paint it again, regularly, for ever.

You might perhaps have it rendered instead.

MILdesperandum Sat 15-Nov-14 19:35:34

Thanks Piglet, The gutters and downpipes are OK I think. The worst affected is a (very old) flat roofed section which has a parapet wall.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Nov-14 19:51:48

does the flat roof drain fast, or does it suffer ponding? Could water be getting through the parapet?

MILdesperandum Sat 15-Nov-14 20:29:07

I've not noticed ponding... will double check next downpour. Its a gravelled type flat roof if that makes any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now