Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moss on roof - removal of

(13 Posts)
gigigarton1962 Sat 15-Nov-14 12:02:18

Anyone have any idea how much it might cost my elderly mother to have the moss removed from the roof of her 3 bed bungalow? I'm worried the quote she has received is a little on the high side. Thank you.

specialsubject Sat 15-Nov-14 12:03:07

to do it safely will involve either a cherry-picker or scaffolding, so they aren't cheap.

gigigarton1962 Sat 15-Nov-14 12:14:43

Does £650 sound unreasonable?

PigletJohn Sat 15-Nov-14 14:33:28

why do you want to remove it?

If they use a powerwasher or scrapers, it is likely that the tiles will be damaged.

It is possible to kill the moss and prevent regrowth by fixing copper strip )like lightening conductor) along the ridge so that rainwater dissolves enough copper to affect the moss. A reputable local roofer can do it.

It is possible to spray a roof with Armatillox (sp?) which will kill it for about a year.

Avoid unknown doorstep sellers and look for a company with a real-life business address that you can go and look at; not a mobile phone number and a white van.

ThisOneAndThatOne Sat 15-Nov-14 14:39:43

Why does she want to remove it ?

If this has originated from a random person knocking on the door then I think you need to consider if it actually needs removing.

I have randoms knocking in my door offering all sorts of maintenance services that I know I don't need.

culturemulcher Sun 16-Nov-14 21:43:10

We've just moved into a house with a fair old a mount of moss (in small clumps) on the roof tiles. Does anyone know what actually happens if you just leave it?

PigletJohn Sun 16-Nov-14 22:19:59

IME it sometimes falls off in storms.

In my house, because of wind direction (coastal) it usually blows off the gable end onto my car, and not into the gutters.

It is on the northern side of the roof, otherwise the blistering hot sun would dry it out and stop it growing.

specialsubject Sun 16-Nov-14 22:21:56

in my house it attracts things that scuttle about on the roof at night - working on removing it!

it also blocks gutters when it does fall off.

in the UK it will always be on the north side.

culturemulcher Mon 17-Nov-14 13:39:59

So, aside from it falling down and blocking the gutters, there's possibly no harm done in leaving the moss on the roof? Or have I got the wrong end of the mossy stick?

PigletJohn Mon 17-Nov-14 14:08:20

if you have only just moved in, I'd leave it for a bit. Maybe, like me, you will not get gutter problems.

On roofs with shallow pitch, it sometimes leads to damp getting in through the joints. You will notice this if you look round the loft in rainy weather (like now). It seems to me that concrete tiles are worse than clay tiles or slates.

If you do decide to take action, get recommendations for an established local roofer, who will be familiar with local conditions. I suspect he will be opposed to moss removal.

The more often you do something to a roof, the quicker it goes wrong.

if I had a significant problem with mine, I think I'd go for the copper tape.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Mon 17-Nov-14 14:46:22

A house near to us has recently had its mossy roof pressure washed. Took two days to clear it but looks great now. However, I thought that pressure washing took off a thin layer so I wonder if their tiles many be damaged as a result.

dancingwitch Mon 17-Nov-14 14:58:44

Our neighbours recently had their 4 or 5 bed house done for £750. Seemed to involve a couple of guys & a pressure washer and was all done in a day. Apparently, they treated the roof with something to prevent the moss re-growing. Quite a shallow pitch so the guys just stood on the rood rather than use scaffolding or similar. It all sounded a bit odd to me,

culturemulcher Mon 17-Nov-14 16:38:47

Thanks PigletJohn - sounds like very good advice. I haven't noticed any fallen clods of moss on the drive, so maybe they are all in the gutters. I'll send DH up to check.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now