Talk

Advanced search

what caused this hole in my skirting board [pic]

(14 Posts)
SkirtOverHere Fri 14-Nov-14 21:36:18

I pulled the couch off the wall for the first time in maybe 6 months dont judge me and saw this hole in the skirting board. I'm sure it wasn't there previously.

I'm a bit scared to ask, but what would have made this hole?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Nov-14 22:08:03

rot.

wowfudge Fri 14-Nov-14 22:08:44

Which of the dark marks is the hole? Left or right?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Nov-14 22:10:02

unless perhaps you are in or near Surrey.

Poke the surface around the hole with a biro or screwdriver. Does it go in?

Is this on the ground floor? Is it a concrete floor?

Poopooplop Fri 14-Nov-14 22:10:18

Tiny rats...

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Nov-14 22:11:05

What's in Surrey?

GirlsonFilm Fri 14-Nov-14 22:12:14

Rot..try sticking a skewer in between the two holes, it looks pretty damp to me

PigletJohn Fri 14-Nov-14 22:15:35

North West Surrey (mostly) has House Longhorn Beetle. It is more common in roof timbers.

SkirtOverHere Fri 14-Nov-14 22:16:27

Yes ground floor, not on a concrete slab. Not Surrey, London. Both dark spots are holes.

It crumbles when I poke around the holes.

What do I need to do to fix it confused

PigletJohn Fri 14-Nov-14 22:21:10

Find and cure the source of the damp. For example it might be a leaking radiator pipe, or it might be that your subfloor void is damp because the airbricks are blocked or there is a leak underneath.

Whatever bits of rotten wood you pull off, put in a clear plastic bag and seal it shut, until you know what sort of rot it is. Have a look under the carpet and at all the nearby skirtings and floorboards, including on the other side of the wall. You are looking particularly for the colour of the wood, and fluffy or cobweb-like strands, and the shape of cracking in the timber, e.g. has it shrunk and cracked into cubes.

If you see anything resembling a mushroom, or any orange dust, photograph it.

SkirtOverHere Fri 14-Nov-14 22:42:18

I've just doubled the size of the hole by poking around.

Hmm, I've just remembered we had a plinth resting against it for about 12 months (it was hidden by the couch blush)

This is a job for DH isn't it. I had hoped it would sort itself out eternally optimistic

thanks everyone, especially PJ smile

SkirtOverHere Fri 14-Nov-14 22:47:43

Shit PJ I vacuumed up the bits that fell off, I just saw you said bag it up. Do I need to go through the bagless vac?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Nov-14 23:02:32

I was especially interested in not spreading the spores around, as well as keeping samples for inspecton..

As it is bagless I think I would empty it into a plastic bag outside the house and bin it, then wipe or spray the hose and container with Kitchen Spray with Bleach and wipe out, take off the filters too and wash. You could pick out and keep a few sample bits of rotten wood in a clear sealed bag.

It used to be recommended that you don't hoover up rot, but modern vacs have fine filters so I suppose they would trap the spores instead of blowing them round the house.

Not sure what else you could use to sterilise it without damage. Maybe sponge with a cleaning solution of bleach plus a touch of WUL.

If you manage to identify it as not dry rot, you need not fret so much.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Nov-14 23:03:34

Orange or red dust (spores of dry rot) are especially undesirable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now