Talk

Advanced search

Parquet flooring

(10 Posts)
MrsFlorrick Fri 14-Nov-14 20:25:38

Hankering after parquet flooring once we finally buy our new (old) house next year.

I've got parquet in our current house in the lounge but not installed by us. It's solid parquet and nearly 200 years old. Looks beautiful.

Anyone have it installed? Any problems? And what type. Solid or engineered?
I've had and installed various wood floors in various homes over the years. And generally happy with both solid and engineered.
Engineered for difficult substrates and solid where not.

Don't know about parquet though.

Keen to hear experiences please grin

MrsFlorrick Fri 14-Nov-14 20:26:05

Sorry that was long

annoyedofnorwich Fri 14-Nov-14 20:30:17

Have not installed new but have lifted an old one-100yrs ish- and relaid it. It was battered and loose with missing bits so had new blocks made to match old. Was relaid, sanded and varnished. Looks fab!

MrsFlorrick Fri 14-Nov-14 20:38:55

Annoyed. Sounds so lovely. grin

This house would need some new or reclaimed stuff putting in.

morechildrenplease Fri 14-Nov-14 20:43:06

Have done this earlier this year - bought stunning reclaimed parquet from a company called parquet parquet and had it fitted and sanded. We love it!

Greencheese Fri 14-Nov-14 20:44:35

I briefly looked into it after I fell in love with some reclaimed stuff on eBay, I phoned around a few fitters and that priced us out. There were some beauties on eBay though, old school halls etc. lovely stuff.

nikki1978 Fri 14-Nov-14 20:48:11

We already had it in ours and we had it fixed, sanded and varnished. It looks amazing now.

MrsFlorrick Fri 14-Nov-14 22:14:42

Thanks. grin

It's expensive isn't it. confused

neepsandtatties Sat 15-Nov-14 07:54:11

Fitting it is expensive. We bought ours reasonably cheaply from an online place, and they arranged fitting for us (although the terms were that we would pay the fitter direct). When the fitter turned up he was horrified that the parquet was loose (on mesh) as he had expected it to be in large rigid tiles of 12 blocks. He still did the job (reluctantly) for the agreed price, but said if he'd priced the job, he would have charged a lot more.

Betty1980 Sat 15-Nov-14 09:35:09

watching with interest. ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now