Talk

Advanced search

Paint colour for small cold north facing room?

(22 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Thu 13-Nov-14 21:06:08

Had this on blue and white wallpaper for many years in nursery phase. It made it a lovely bright room.
Not need to redo for our youngest to grow up in.
Would solid paint make it look smaller?
Would borrowed light f&b or similar colour be too cold?
Ideas anyone?
Thanks

JugglingChaotically Thu 13-Nov-14 21:08:31

Oops iPhone typos. Sorry!

JugglingChaotically Fri 14-Nov-14 22:05:17

Anyone?

moonrocket Fri 14-Nov-14 22:07:28

we had borrowed light in our north facing sitting room, and it was utterly gorgeous.
But I do tend to cooler colours, rather than warmer. If you like red dining rooms etc, perhaps it's not for you smile

MamaMary Fri 14-Nov-14 22:14:06

North-facing small front room was white, yellow and blue for years. It was cold and unwelcoming.

Then we painted it a deep, darkish red and it turned into a gorgeous, cosy, warm and inviting room. It was a wonderful transformation.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 14-Nov-14 23:18:31

Dulux divide all their colours into Rich, fresh, Calm and Warm - i'd go for anything from the warm pallet

You don't say if its for a boy or girl but I'd go for something like Inky Pool from the warm blues and add accessory touches of cerise for a girl or orange for a boy maybe?

media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/58/80/ec/5880ec70082cf16fb57385cd34974683.jpg

whereismagic Fri 14-Nov-14 23:30:49

You have to see what's outside to bring it in with colour. Our small cold north-facing room is on 1 floor with only branches visible outside so I chose pale lettuce/pea green and it feels like sitting in a tree house.

whereismagic Fri 14-Nov-14 23:31:31

And you need to choose warm white light bulbs.

JugglingChaotically Sun 16-Nov-14 13:14:58

Thanks. It's for to fear DD but she's not into pink.
Can't go for warm reddish colours - which I'd love for a snug - as it wouldn't work for her room.
Like the colour linked to above. Tks.
Greenery outside but not sure about bringing it in as might be cold?

JugglingChaotically Sun 16-Nov-14 13:15:31

Just spotted warm white light bulbs - didn't know you could get those! Tks

whereismagic Mon 17-Nov-14 18:51:42

Look for warm green. It would look good with pink accents.

JugglingChaotically Mon 17-Nov-14 20:21:50

Warm greenblush. I never was good at this stuff. Can you give me a hint, please!

SoMuchForSubtlety Mon 17-Nov-14 20:32:56

If you put a warm green next to a yellowish cream they won't hate each other. If you put a cool green next to a yellowish cream it will look slightly ill.

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 17-Nov-14 21:43:46

These are Dulux Warm Greens:

www.dulux.co.uk/shop/colours/greens/

They come in 6 depths of colour - i tend to go for the lightest (6) as it does go on the wall darker - I have a colour called Green Briar in lots of rooms in my current house and the last two I think it may be discontinued but I have the code for it and they still mix it from that. The closest on the link to it I would say is Soft Moss or Celtic Moor. I hate a pepperminty green personally so tend to avoid that.

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 17-Nov-14 21:48:12

To be honest. I'd maybe find a curtain fabric or duvet set you like and start from that to pull wall colours and accent colours from it - it's much easier if you have something to start with.....even if its just a cushion or a picture she likes or something.

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 17-Nov-14 21:52:36

You say she isn't really a pink girl but do you still want something girly?

What about this duvet? it would go really nicely with the first paint I linked or something similar:

www.lauraashley.com/uk/bed-linen/song-bird-bedset/invt/3588573

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 17-Nov-14 21:59:47

Or something like this:

www.next.co.uk/x541298s3#675938x54

or this:

www.next.co.uk/g40734s2#676723g40

If you pick out a colour from the design they will colour match that into paint for you or just co-ordinate it yourself from the samples

This is a bit different - still feminine but not pretty pretty. you could do the walls a warm grey and maybe do one of the short walls (the window wall?) a warmer red with a nice roman blind?

www.next.co.uk/g403728s5#680632g40

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 17-Nov-14 22:06:43

This one is quite fun (just realised I have no idea how old your daughter is but was guessing 4/5) and you do a soft green walls or just a warm neutral?:

www.amazon.co.uk/SINGLE-PILLOW-WOODLAND-CREATURES-FLOWERS/dp/B00FRGIQWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416261962&sr=8-1&keywords=woodland+creatures+duvet

lordStrange Mon 17-Nov-14 22:13:59

That woodland duvet is lovely. My new all time favourite neutral/greige is Bleached Lichen by dulux and I'm about to paint my north facing sitting room in this colour. It's very calming and great with highly colourful pictures and textiles, like what I got smile.

www.duluxtrade.co.za/servlet/ColourSchemeHandler?name=bleached_lichen_2

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 17-Nov-14 22:21:06

Yes. that's nice lord strange - i'm looking for something for my living toom - that might fit the bill smile

Having two boys (teens now) I never realised how hard it is to get non pink frilly type girls bed linen!

Going to stop looking now...honest grin

whereismagic Mon 17-Nov-14 23:20:32

Warm green like Tunsgate Green by Farrow & Ball. It's very pale but has warm undertones. I would colour match it, obviously.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 18-Nov-14 15:57:39

Whereismagic - that is very similar to the paint I have smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now