Talk

Advanced search

Which is the better boiler?

(13 Posts)
Betty1980 Thu 13-Nov-14 19:58:32

Anyone know about boilers? any preferences between a worcester 32cdi compact combi and an ideal logic + 30 kw combi?

OrangeyTulips Thu 13-Nov-14 20:10:34

I know Worcester have a really good rep. I own one - no problems.

dabchick88 Thu 13-Nov-14 20:40:39

Apparently vaillant are excellent boilers. We have just been looking into a new one and the plumber said that the valliant 837 combi is the equivalent to a Rolls Royce and a worcester is a BMW...

TheGonnagle Thu 13-Nov-14 20:42:25

The Worcester. Every time. Is it a big house?
Although dh (heating engineer) says really you should get a Vaillant, they're the best on the market.

PigletJohn Thu 13-Nov-14 21:50:09

There was a lot of argument among heating enthusiasts when the top three brands in the recent "Which" survey were Worcester Bosch, Vaillant and Viessmann. Lots of the pros disagreed with WB having such a high rating, and some said that more expensive brands are more likely to have a good-quality install without cutting corners, which makes a big difference to reliability. It is especially important to clean out the old pipes and radiators and to fit a system filter when you put a new boiler on an old system.

Piglet has a Viessmann.

I recommend looking on the manufacturer's website to see who their approved installers are in your area, and getting recommendations from local people who had new boilers a couple of years ago. Look at manufacturer's warranty lengths.

ChippingInAutumnLover Thu 13-Nov-14 21:53:40

Worcester or Vailant for sure. The guy who put mine in (Worcester) installs both and nothing else as he says the rest are just a nightmare in waiting. I stuck with the W as they have a very very good reputation. It's not worth skimping on the actual boiler.

catwithflowers Fri 14-Nov-14 10:17:54

We're having a Worcester put in next week in a very large house. Our plumber and electrician both rated it as the best. They say it's what they have in their homes.

CrapBag Fri 14-Nov-14 19:45:59

I had a gas engineer out recently and he said vailliant are the best ones at the moment. We had one in our old house and never had a problem in 6 years.

Now we've got a saunier duval and another plumber groaned when he had to look at it so you will want to steer clear of them. grin

EarSlaps Fri 14-Nov-14 21:07:54

Don't get an Ideal, they are awful.

eyestightshut Fri 14-Nov-14 22:27:00

We have had a Baxi platinum fitted.It comes with a 10 year parts and labour guarantee, the only conditions being that you have a power flush before it's fitted, and have it serviced annually.

wonkylegs Sat 15-Nov-14 23:23:56

I'd have a viesmann if there was an installer in my area, there isn't so I have a Worcester Bosch. My WB is so far doing well, this ones a conventional boiler but had one of their combi's in a previous house and that was fab too.
I've specified Viesmann for jobs though and always been impressed and I've never had negative feedback from clients.

Marmitelover55 Sun 16-Nov-14 09:33:49

Good to hear that Viesmann is the boiler if choice for pigletjohn and wonkylegs, as that is what we recently had fitted smile We didn't get to choose as the new boiler was included in the quote from our builder for our new extension, but the heating engineer said it was a good one.

SugarPlumTree Sun 16-Nov-14 12:51:47

We were quoted for a Worcester Bosch or Vaillant than the bastard Plumber stuck in an Ideal.

About 6 years later having attended it regularly under a service contract, British Gas had to write it off as they just couldn't fix it, despite long discussion with manufacturer.

We now have a Vaillant. Do NOT get an ideal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now