Talk

Advanced search

PigletJohn? About pva under paint..

(15 Posts)
Gozogozo Thu 13-Nov-14 17:03:41

Somewhere, sometime you said not to let any painter go near the walls with pva - why?
My painter's are very keen but I have held them off so far!

PigletJohn Thu 13-Nov-14 17:52:04

pva glue prevents the paint touching and adhering to the wall.

pva glue softens and dissolves in damp and water, and pushes off the paint in bubbles.

There are still a few plasterers who like to do it, but most of them have been killed by angry painters.

New or bare plaster should be cleaned of any paste or other contamination, and primed with one or more mist coats of emulsion thinned with water so they soak in.

Gozogozo Thu 13-Nov-14 18:32:46

Thank you so much, PigletJohn.

Back2Two Thu 13-Nov-14 18:37:44

Ooh, piglet, if you're still around have you any tips for new skirting board and any necessary preparation? Do I need to put knotting fluid on? And should I undercoat/paint before fixing them on?

Sorry for the hijack

Marmitelover55 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:41:09

We recently had new skirting board painted and the decorator did use knotting stuff, then primer or undercoat (sorry cant remember which), followed by two coats of satinwood. HTH.

Back2Two Thu 13-Nov-14 18:42:36

Thanks marmite. Do you remember if the decorator did it all before fixing it on? Not sure if it matters

PigletJohn Thu 13-Nov-14 18:54:28

rather than knotting, I prefer Aluminium Wood Primer (which dries grey, not silver). It is durable, and seals knots, and you can do the whole board with it rather than dabbing patches.

Over the aluminium, you can use water-based white acrylic primer undercoat which dries quickly, you will need a few coats, it is good enough for indoors. If you apply it, or water-mixed filler, to steel screws or nails, rust will show through unless you have painted the heads with oil-based primer.

If you are fitting them yourself, and have time, you can drill and countersink the fixing holes and trial-fit, then do the primer and undercoat, it is quicker and less arduous that crawling along the floor. You will have to fill and patch over the screws before topcoating. If they are going to be glued on, it will be a bit easier as no screw holes. You will want to use decorators caulk to hide any gaps along the top edge before finishing.

Back2Two Thu 13-Nov-14 22:01:18

Great, thanks for all that piglet
I'll get on the case this weekend!

Greencheese Thu 13-Nov-14 22:40:20

Sorry another hijack from me. From reading on here and you also just said about watering down paint to seal plaster Piglet John but how much water to paint roughly? Thanks.

PigletJohn Thu 13-Nov-14 22:49:27

it will say on the tin. You can add more and give it an extra coat if you like, for example if the tin says 10% I might add 25% and mist twice or more. Stir it a lot. You will know when you have done enough because the wall will no longer suck your brush dry (for misting, use a wide synthetic brush, not a roller)

You can mist with white matt, and use it to give a coat before opening your expensive fashionable Buffalo Sweat or whatever, so you need less. The white will give a good undercoat and will highlight to your eye any remaining defects that need correction.

Marmitelover55 Thu 13-Nov-14 23:55:07

No our decorator came after builders had fitted skirting. Ours is screwed on, then wood filled over screws, caulk along top, then knotting stuff, primer and top coats. Poor decorator had to crawl around on the floor for a few days. Looks good though smile

leeloo1 Sat 15-Nov-14 21:58:29

What wallpaper is that Marmite - its really pretty. smile

Marmitelover55 Sun 16-Nov-14 12:12:29

Hi leeloo - thanks! I got it in John lewis and its by Romo and is called Pintuara Topaz - stock number 693 76801 smile

leeloo1 Sun 16-Nov-14 12:36:02

Thanks Marmite, I'll look it up. smile

Back2Two Sun 16-Nov-14 19:49:53

Yes, it looks lovely marmite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now