Talk

Advanced search

Do you have to strip off wallpaper before skimming the wall?

(8 Posts)
PinkOboe Thu 13-Nov-14 15:38:20

It would seem logical that you do

Does the plasterer do that or do I need to?

juneybean Thu 13-Nov-14 15:39:55

I did, we took off the wallpaper and the liner. Not sure my plasterer would have taken it off though

Thumbwitch Thu 13-Nov-14 15:40:22

It's not part of the plasterer's job - I would have the wall ready to be re-plastered. And yes, that includes removal of the wallpaper.

momb Thu 13-Nov-14 15:40:50

Yes it needs to be stripped. If you have paid the plasterer to strip it then he will. At plasterers rates it will be much cheaper to do it yourself. If you want him to do it then make sure it's agreed and quoted in advance.

MagicMonday Thu 13-Nov-14 15:41:50

Yes. Your plasterer might do it, but you'll be charged extra for labour.

PinkOboe Thu 13-Nov-14 15:46:26

Excellent. Next question, I see you can get an attachment for a karcher steam cleaner. Has anyone attempted using just the normal floor cleaning head? The proper attachment is £30 (I know about steam blowing the plaster but time is of the essence and the thought of scraping it off makes me die a bit inside)

trufflenut Thu 13-Nov-14 15:53:41

Most wallpapers will strip easily with hot water with a little bit of washing up liquid, leave it for a couple of minutes, I prefer it to steaming, (unless you're talking wood chip which is a pain to get off

Thumbwitch Thu 13-Nov-14 15:57:28

Steaming can loosen the plaster behind the paper by making it too wet, I think if time is of the essence (I'm guessing your plasterer is coming today?) you might not want to do that.

Score the paper with the stripping tool, hot water and a big sponge. I've never used washing up liquid and again if the plasterer is coming today I wouldn't unless you plan on rinsing it all.

Wood chip is indeed a right bastard to remove though - hope it's not that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now